Google Nexus One Launches

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Google have launched the new Nexus One, their first mobile phone. This is a direct competitor to the sucessful Apple iPhone and uses the Google Android OS:

"It is available for delivery from America for $529 (£324), plus $29.65 shipping (£18), from today, and will be available on a UK Vodafone contract “within weeks”. Until then, any imports will attract additional import duty.

Google unveiled the Nexus One at its Silicon Valley headquarters during a low-key event that was as hotly anticipated as any of Apple’s dramatic launches. Although the handset is not the first to use the Google operating system, called Android, it is the first device that the company has designed itself. High-speed web browsing and voice recognition for writing emails or controlling the device are the two key features the company hopes will distinguish its product in a crowded market. Google claims the device's high specifications make it the first of a new class of "superphone". "

You can read the rest of the article at the Telegraph here.

Attachments

• NexusOne.jpg
    NexusOne.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 825

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I really want one of these, been using a HTC Magic with CyanogenMod (A tweaked version of the Android OS) for the last few months and i love it. This is coming from an ex die hard Nokia/Symbian fan. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you going to get a Sim-free one of these or one on contract? It does look like a very nice bit of kit :)

My iPhone is up for renewal sometime in the summer, so I'm a little tempted to try the Nexus One... as long as it can do remote desktop connections.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sim Free. Got to sell the N97 still, forgot to do that, would obviously sell the Magic too so wont be quite as bad as just buying it outright.

Added a link to Endgadget above btw, wortha look. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm just watching some of the vids on that engadget page now :thumb:

I wonder if this will spur Apple to take the next-gen iPhone up a notch (i.e. better camera, memory card slot, removable battery).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The i-Phone doesn't have a removable battery?

Not good.

Was always one of the things I don't like about I-Pods.

Talking of which, I replaced the battery in my daughters I- Pod recently, the whole thing was les than twenty quid and really rather easy to do :)

Ok, off topic, back to Google phones ;)

Me, I just use my phone as a phone though if needs dictated I'd get me something like that or a Blackberry perhaps.

But at this time, needs do not dictate.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17120/1/

Reports are suggesting its sold out. Those waiting for any sort of dispatch info may be waiting because of this . Rumour also has it that the T-mobile US contract phones aren't shipping till next week, assuming HTC has the stock to honour those orders

:(

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The i-Phone doesn't have a removable battery?

Talking of which, I replaced the battery in my daughters I- Pod recently, the whole thing was les than twenty quid and really rather easy to do :)

It does and apparently you are already in the know how to do it.... :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh i forgot to say, I ordered one of these over the weekend. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll have to get some pics posted once it arrives :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Woot!! Its on its way at last!

Hope to get it tomorrow. :D :D :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Woot! its out for delivery today! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing what it's like :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A user review? Ummm, not really thought about it to be honest. not even sure if i'm any good as writing reviews lol. I'll think about it. :)

Anyway. So its here, been messing with it most of the evening, not going to install too much right now as ill just have to wipe it when i unlock the bootloader (Not to be confused with unlocking for another network) and root it. So i'd just end up starting again. So for now it can remain kinda bare....

A quick sum up...
- Love the live wallpapers, though i guess they have an impact on the battery.
- The AMOLED screen is very vibrant and the touch is really nice, so responsive.
- Android 2.1 is really good and very snappy.
- The phone is very fast at anything i've done so far, the 1GHZ Snapdragon Processor is doing a fine job. :D
- At last a HTC phone that has a decent camera with flash. This is the only thing that lets them down in the past.

So, As i posted above, ill be unlocking the bootloader so i can root it and thus install a custom ROM at some point maybe, time permitting, tomorrow. Have a look at the link below for an idea and a good video of what this means and how to do it....
http://androidandme.com/2010/01/hacks/video-how-to-unlock-and-root-a-nexus-one/

The Addon i mentioned is this..
[N1 Addon] Nexus One Addon 0.1 - Makin' Bacon

That is the same guy that does the CyanogenMod ROMs for the Magic. He really knows what he's doing. ;)

The MoDaCo Custom ROM is another one that is getting good feedback fro mthe guys over at XDA.

So how about some pictures? Ok here you go....

The Box....

357ramx.jpg

2cgn9xz.jpg

j7afrn.jpg

The old Magic next to its bigger brother...

24n3e34.jpg

Love the Android branded pouch that you get with the phone.

23h6fwg.jpg

Ask a Question