good graphics card to upgrade to or not neccasary?

Reaction score
i am currently using a computer with a ASUSTeK Computer A8N-E
Nvidia motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, the graphics card it uses is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT PCi express 128 Mb , now i am installing a new hard drive with xp on as i blindly upgraded to vista and i am a gamer so i am down grading, and as i am opening my computer i was wondering do any of you have any suggestions for a possible upgrade graphics card or if my current one is up to date enough not to upgrade.
many thanks
if any more system info is required i wil post it on here,
hope for many replies

Reaction score
thanks very much, however i dont know if there are such things as certain motherboards not working with certain cards, etc. im not that knowledgeable when it comes to the innards of a computer yet, and this is mainly to work older games, the newer games are mainly just Sims 2 , specially castaway, and far cry, there the two latest games ive bought, so something to work these decently and most other newer games is needed but ona budget so any u can specifically name for me ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If Sims 2 and Far Cry are working ok, stick with what you have.

Your setup would be hard pressed to run games such as Crysis and Timeshift anyway so my advice would be to stay as you are until you want to upgrade the whole shebang.

If pushed, I'd say consider the BFG 9600GT 512Mb card at £130.00, a good mid range upgrade in my opinion.

Reaction score
alright thank you very much, well if i ever get any of the newer games such as them ill upgrade it all then, but thank you very much for your advice. much appriciated

Ask a Question