Going off line

Reaction score
Hi gang I will be going off line shortly as have had some problems with my hard drive for a little time it has got extremely noisy. I have just bought a replacement a Seagate SSHD 2000GB and will be installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 64bit, I hope all goes well but with a Bootneck at the helm you never can tell.:confused::blush::cry::lol::thumb::user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good luck. A small tip: When you install Mint (presumably booting from a CD or USB stick) make it so your new Seagate 2Tb drive is the only hard disk in the machine. This avoids the (unlikely) risk of Mint choosing to install all over any storage hard disks you may have in there (just pull either the data or power cables from any other hard disks during the install procedure).

Also, when the installation sequence prompts you, allocate the whole of the hard disk to your fresh install and let Mint make the partitions.

This just makes life easier.

However, if you've already made definite decisions about the sizes of the various partitions needed then kindly ignore my advice and do your thing ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you :). Did you upgrade from a HDD to an SSHD? It'll be a nice speed boost if so!

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments all done now and updates done and back on line. It is nice to have a hard drive not rattling about the old one has served its purpose and gone to the dustbin after I cleaned it out. Yep did a fresh install of all the hard drive and no partitions Mr Flops thanks for the tip. Yes it is a 2tb SSHD Seagate drive Ian:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
I did indeed have to do the installation twice as the first time inadvertently downloaded some unsafe updates which were on the unsafe list, stupid twit but I reinstalled again and this time did not get too excited and only downloaded the safe ones so all is great. At the moment I am downloading all my saved music and photo's.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Good job @Bootneck! I'm glad to know you are up and running again. I like the sound of your 2TB SSHD - oodles of space and speedy with it! :thumb:

Reaction score
Yes the new SSHD has certainly accelerated the boot up and is as smooth as a baby's bottom, and loving the Mint 18:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
Good job @Bootneck! I'm glad to know you are up and running again. I like the sound of your 2TB SSHD - oodles of space and speedy with it! :thumb:

I have much of my music downloaded on my PC something like 40,000 tracks and still more to go also our photo's which amounts to a lot as we have all our Las Vegas holidays, dogs and many more happy family events like my grand daughter etc

Ask a Question