Global Address Book

David Crichton

Trying to add a new entry into my global address book
through Outlook 2000.

I click on "To..", then the global address list is shown,
selecting NEW then, "in the" global address List. This
returns the message "You cannot create entries for this
Address book. This message appears even when using the
server as Admin.

Workstations = Outlook 2000
Server = Exchange 2000

Hope someone can help.

David.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

This is normal behavior. You cannot add GAL entries using Outlook.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi David,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on my knowledge, you are unable to edit the Global Address List (GAL)
entries in Outlook clients. This function is not available in Outlook. In
Outlook client, you are only able to query GAL. This is by design.

To add entry to GAL, you may have to use Active Directory Users and
Computers (ADUC. In ADUC, you can create new mail-enabled objects (such as
users and contacts), which will be added to GAL.

For more information, you may take a look at the following link:

182957 OL98: (CW) You Cannot Create Entries in This Address Book
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=182957

Hope the information helps you. Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Global Address Book
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:55:15 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

This is normal behavior. You cannot add GAL entries using Outlook.

David Crichton

Whats the best way of setting up a central address book
that users can add/edit/delete ?

Thanks

David.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi David,

To reach your aim, you may have to create a standard address book on an
Outlook client, and share the Personal Address Book by copying the PAB file
to a public folder. Then the others can get it and import it into their own
address book.

For more information, refer to the article below:
197748 OL2000: (CW) How to Copy the Personal Address Book to Another
Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=197748

256852 OL2000: (IMO) How to Export Your Personal Address Book to a Text File
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=256852

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "David Crichton" <[email protected]>
|Sender: "David Crichton" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: Global Address Book
|Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 03:43:48 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|Whats the best way of setting up a central address book
|that users can add/edit/delete ?
|
|Thanks
|
|David.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi David,

This is just a supplement for my previous reply.

I have performed some further research, and I would like to share some
information with you.

You can achieve your purpose by creating a public Contacts folder. You may
look into the following article for detailed information.

258775 XADM: How to Create and Manage a Contacts Public Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258775

Hope this helps. Have a nice day!

From: "David Crichton" <[email protected]>
Sender: "David Crichton" <[email protected]>