Gigabyte Ram issue Pt. 2

Reaction score
Hello all, Sorry but the old thread seemed to die out and i really need an answer to this problem.

Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 (Venice) -CPU

Gigabyte K8VT890-9 Socket 939 -Motherboard

XFX GeForce 7900 GT 256MB PCIe w/Dual DVI -Video Card

Corsair Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400Mhz Memory (X4)
My motherboard has 4 available RAM slots.I am only able to use 2 however because there seems to be some problem. I have 4 IDENTICAL sticks of memory, and currently have 2 of them in DDR slots 1 and 2. I tried to install the other 2 in slots 3 and 4 but it idnt see 4G or total ram at all. It only saw 2.8G and i cant see why.

I then put in only 3 sticks in slots 1, 2 and 3 but then the system didnt boot at all. I tested all the sticks of memory and they all work great which leads me to belive this is a motherboard problem. I cant seem to find it so I though i would look for help here. Also there are a couple things i forgot to mention last time. First would be how when i put all 4 sticks in and go into the BIOS it only sees 2.8G so this also leads me to believe this is a motherboard problem. Second, when i have all 4 sticks in i tried to run it normal thinking 2.8G is still better than 2G but my system locks up loading various programs.

If someone could help me out and save me from getting a new motherboard/ selling my memory i would REALLY apreciate it. I need to know if i should get a new motherboard or send back the memory and i have less than 30 days to decide. Also if i am forced to get a new motherboard, and i get the same socket type, would l have to reinstall windows?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well a simple reply to your old post would have done ...

OK, we'll try this again ... and for anyone else reading about trying to get 4gig to 'work' properly.

The simple answer is ... it don't work how you expect it to ... tuff, live with it, or use Linux or Vista!!

In-depth answer ...
Based on PC system architecture, the BIOS, H/W resource (such as ACPI, onboard I/O and so on), PCI or AGP VGA cards need motherboard to address. Thus, when you install maximum system memory the motherboard supports, system memory address will overlap system H/W resource and MB BIOS may report lower amount of available memory.

Got that? ;)

Now the OS ... simple answer ... it does the bloody same thing!!!

In-depth answer ... use 2gig and be happy. :)

Reaction score
alright, but then why does it lock up if i have all 4 installed for more than 40mins?

Ask a Question