Gaming laptop

Reaction score
Hi, after finding myself with a £1200 budget i am looking for a gaming laptop. I must say now that anything made by Dell will be dismissed, Ive been looking at the acer Ferrari 4005 laptop with X700 graphics but im not sure if X700 is up to the likes of unreal tournament 2004 and far-cry. Any recomendations will be much appreciated, thx ~Chris

Reaction score
That was of help thanks, i think a x800 graphics card would be more suitable for my needs - can i get this in a laptop for £1200 or would i need to expand my budget? £1500 alienware laptops certainly seem specified but perhaps alittle large? Does anyone know which laptops have replacable gpus? X800 or 6800 mobile seem much more suited as i dont know if 31fps UT2004 is going to look very nice on a 15Inch tft

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
VGA board on Laptops are normally hardwired to the motherboard so upgrading is not possible, that is why you need to make sure before buying if it meets your need. Normally, in laptops one can upgrade ram, change HD and optical drive if it is not a fixed one. That's about it. I am not sure which laptops come with x800 boards, I guess you need to check out the ATI site where they may list laptops with x800 boards, although I am not sure if they do.

You can also check some website which exclusively review laptops and some gaming sites which review laptops on the side. I am afraid the higher end VGA boards will certainly mean higher price tag of the laptops. Do a bit of research and see what fits your bill. Since I am not a gamer I do not visit gaming sites but there are many here who may help you out on that. However, I can give you a link to a website which deals with laptop reviews which is as follows:

http://www.notebookreview.com/

Ask a Question