Game, system reboot error

Reaction score
Hello,

my pc has been resseting itself when playing games i can play for a while maybe 30 minutes and then my pc will reset and keep reseting and wont even boot, i have to turn it off and back on with the switch on the back to get it too start again also the case feels hot.

it started doing this a couple of weeks ago while playing doom 3 and then again when playing half life and world of warcraft i thought maybe it was the graphics card as i was using a Gforce 3 so brought my self a new 6800 GT and it works good but still getting the error of restarting in counter strike source and other games i have played.

I cleaned out the dust from the fans thinking maybe it was that but its still doing it

MY PC Specs are

P4 2.4 GHZ CPU
1024 MB RAM in 2 256 MB and one 512mb
started while using Geforce 3 Ti 200 128mb and stil does on my 6600GT 256 MB
350w Power Supply

Ive also recently updated to Service pack 2 on windows xp

If anyone has and ideas on what to do please help me out and thanks alot

Reaction score
Hey,

Have you checked your CPU temperatures using probe software which might of came with your computer, or in your bios?

Chris,

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Like Chris said, its a very good chance that your processor is overheating, and your computer is shutting itself down for saftery, before it does some damage to itself.

After a gaming session, or it reboots go into the bios and check out the CPU temprature if you can. If your temprature is above 60c, then you really need to consider a new processor fan/heatsink. Try playing for abit with the side of the case off, because when you have the side of the case on, your processor fan is just blowing warm air onto the heatsink. I have the side of my case off constantly, though it gets alittle dusty it keeps me insides all nice and cool.

If its not your processor overheating, it could be a faulty/underpowered PSU. You can get a good 400+ Watt PSU pretty cheap nowadays, PC World sell some well made ones from Hiper. Or you can go all out and get something from the Antec, Enermax, Tagan or OCZ range, though they do charge around £60-£70 for a 400 Watt one. But i've seen some good reviews of the Hiper range, from reliable hardware review sites.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i have atully tried leaving the case open and still the same problem the back where the psu is though does get very hot

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's not unusual to have a 'running' temp of around 58degC under load, such as playing games. You'll have a hard job to 'burn-out' a P4 as it will actually run without a HSF. However, I don't recommend you try it.

Restarting due to a power-loss is quite common; there are too many underpowered PSU units especially when it comes to 'feeding' the graphics card. A hint that it could well be your PSU is in the fact you have to "power off" at the wall socket, which then 'resets' the PSU

A PSU will generate its own heat and if overstressed will add to any heat problem you may have ... do you have a case fan or two fitted?

:)

Ask a Question