Fw: Using WinUpdate to (re)install IE6.1 fails att: Maurice

gerrybob

Maurice,

Thanks for picking up on this.
First. That's an awful lot of questions but lets see if I can put it in some
sort of order.
Just prior to trying this last reinstall exercise I tried to get my system
to the point where I could perform a repair on IE6. According to the KB
(which 0ne I don't know as there have been so many in the last to days)
article that tells how to repair IE when XP XP1 is installed and the repair
option is no longer available, I had to first uninstall SP1 which I did and
still was not offered an option to repair IE. So the answer to that question
is no I didn't repair. The reason that my help\about does not list all you
mention is because I reinstalled SP1 but simply did not want to reinstall
all the updates if I had to repeat the uninstall. Before Wednesday my
machine was always up to the latest update even when the damn task bar icon
seems to pop up everyday (XP never seems to reach a point of stability does
it).

I have an Intel P4 1.5G, 60 GB HD, 1.25 GB RAM. Mostly put together custom.
2 years ago it came with Me but only had it for a month and was upgrade on a
coupon from MS. IE6 has been on the machine ever since with no problem other
than the little annoyances that arise from time to time.

There was no problem with the browser until the day, 9/6, I installed
MSMoney 2004 and the .Net passport connection. Then the browser just started
:) not starting quickly from shortcut, link, or executable. If it would
start behaving again I would leave things as they are right now or use my
Opera.

Hope this all made some since. Can't seem to repair IE, haven't reinstalled
all the updates, no fix for the problem seems to be available from the
newsgroup.

Gerry

#1. The IE newsgroup should be more expert. and #2, failing that should
have pointed you to windowsxp.general for XP specific help.

If you want, you can shift this there & I'll help you in that group.
The only thing Windows Update has is the latest cumulative update for IE6
browser (service pack 1) or possibly the service pack 1 for IE.

Is your browser a *branded* or specialized version from some manufacturer or
re-marketer?
Or did it come from Windows XP?
Was this pc always on Win XP? or did you at any time upgrade from an older
Windows? if so, which?

Have you or have you not tried IE6 repair option?
See this Microsoft - Article ID 318378
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];318378

BTW, for the record, your IE6 browser (at Help/About) should show something
very close to this:
Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633
plus
it ought to display a 3-line section, showing Update versions, such as:
Update Versions:;SP1, Q328970; Q324929;
Q328389;Q810847;Q813951;Q813489;Q330994;Q818529;Q822925;

What you may try doing is, going to Windows Update to pick up all *critical*
updates, plus all *security* updates, and the latest *cumulative update* for
Internet Explorer 6-Service Pack 1.

The measure of last resort would be a "IE repair" install---involving
A.downloading of the entire IE from MS at this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp
(Read the whole thing & set/choose your language (at top-right) & download
from it).
B. removing old,
C. install IE all over.

Maurice N

gerrybob said:
[...]

XP is very stable, in my opinion, and I've been using it for over 2 years now. Just fyi.
Did you purchase XP at retail? so we can at least determine if the IE browser is the one from MS.

Try these tips.
Bring up Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options/ select VIEW Tab and look at all of settings listed.

"CHECK" (turn on) Display the contents of system folders.

Under column, Hidden files and folders----choose ( *select* ) Show hidden files and folders.
Next, un-check Hide extensions for known file types.
Next un-check Hide protected operating system files.

Look closely on your system. See if you have any of these folders:

C:\Windows Update Setup Files

C:\Windows\Windows Update Setup Files

Please delete these folders if they are present.

Delete Temporary Internet Files. Run Disk Cleanup program.

Then use the link from my other reply to you, so that you download & save to your HD the complete IE6 with SP1 ---
later on, you need to try to remove IE, and then run the program to install the downloaded IE6.

Be *very sure* to disable your antivirus program just prior to removing / reinstalling the browser. AV programs can be mighty touchy.
What you also need is to not have any other user programs running.

gerrybob

Maurice,

Will do as you say. Bought XP disk directly from the MS site with an upgrade
coupon and it was mailed directly from MS.
Used the wrong term to describe XP. Very stable GUI but judging by the
number and frequency of updates it never seems to be completed.
Before I attempt this ... because I have SP1 installed IE is no longer in my
Add/remove programs panel. I am only offered the option to uncheck it in the
windows comaponent section. How doe you suggest I could actually uninstall
the thing?

Gerry

PS sorry for replying directly before

Maurice N

gerrybob said:
Maurice,

Will do as you say. Bought XP disk directly from the MS site with an
upgrade coupon and it was mailed directly from MS.
Used the wrong term to describe XP. Very stable GUI but judging by the
number and frequency of updates it never seems to be completed.
Before I attempt this ... because I have SP1 installed IE is no
longer in my Add/remove programs panel. I am only offered the option
to uncheck it in the windows comaponent section. How doe you suggest
I could actually uninstall the thing?

Gerry

PS sorry for replying directly before

OK. You have the "standard" MS IE, then.
Here is the article you need to read & digest.
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];318378

As to your last part --- alas, they keep finding areas to fix ( as typically happens) and the security updates are still ongoing issues.