Front Page 2002 publishing on Tripod errors

Robb Mavins

Hi - I am not sure if this group can offer any assistance (if someone knows
a better newsgroup/forum etc for ths kind of information please post it )

I am trying to publish via Front Page 2002 to
http://frontpage.tripod.com/username/ and I receive the following error
message: (where username is my username as Tripod mandates)

"500 Server Error Server Error The following error occurred:
Code:
 The server closed the connection while reading
the response. Contact your system administrator.   Please contact the
administrator. "

I have read the Tripod alerts & the FP help and taken the following steps:
1) Tried to "fool" FrontPage into not using the cached error message
information by deleting and retyping the site name also removed cached
FrontPage information.

2) From the My Account page, disabled and then re-enabled FrontPage Server
Extensions.

3) My site is only 5 pages so it is not a time out issue.

4) I deleted all of the directories that start with "_" (underscores) in
File Manager. And then Re-enabled FrontPage Server Extensions and have the
same problem.
-
Some other Notes:
1) I can use FrontPage on other sites.

2) I can log in to tripod and file manager and I can FTP, the only problem I
am having is using FrontPage.

3) I recently created a website for my brother in FrontPage and uploaded it
to his Tripod site via FrontPage so easily that I decided it was the ticket.
Now when I try (using FrontPage) to log in to his tripod site to update it
it connects but "hangs" when I hit publish.

I am very comfortable in HTML but new to FP.

Any thoughts
Thanks
Robb Mavins

Thomas A. Rowe

A 500 error is generated by the remote server, so you will need to contact
Tripod Tech support get this resolved.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Robb Mavins

Thanks for your reply. I suspected as much.
I was just curious as to whether there could be anything "cached" or in the
web folder information that is sending bad authentication information. As I
can log in and FTP but not connect through the web folder.

Robb Mavins

Robb Mavins said:
[...]

2) I can log in to tripod and file manager and I can FTP, the only[/QUOTE] problem[QUOTE]
am having is using FrontPage.

3) I recently created a website for my brother in FrontPage and uploaded it
to his Tripod site via FrontPage so easily that I decided it was the ticket.
Now when I try (using FrontPage) to log in to his tripod site to update it
it connects but "hangs" when I hit publish.

I am very comfortable in HTML but new to FP.

Any thoughts
Thanks
Robb Mavins[/QUOTE] reply[QUOTE]
me.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Thomas A. Rowe

FP connects via http, not FTP so being able to connect via FTP has no
bearing on the ability to connect via http.

Have search for the hidden *.web file and then delete them via Start Menu |
Find Files..?

Robb Mavins said:
[...]

3) I recently created a website for my brother in FrontPage and[/QUOTE] uploaded
it[QUOTE]
to his Tripod site via FrontPage so easily that I decided it was the ticket.
Now when I try (using FrontPage) to log in to his tripod site to[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] update[QUOTE]
it reply
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Dave Wallace

Wow - this is exactly what is happening to me - the "hanging" part when I
try to connect it is driving me crazy?

Robb Mavins

Replies are inline Robb Mavins

Thomas A. Rowe said:
FP connects via http, not FTP so being able to connect via FTP has no
bearing on the ability to connect via http.

Yes, I was only suggesting that it was not a tripod authentication issue.
i.e. "I have authorized access"
Have search for the hidden *.web file and then delete them via Start Menu |
Find Files..?

Yes but as mentioned I am a real Front Page newbie, I have been building by
straight HTML for a few years just decided for convenience and speed of
updates to try FP. Love it so far with exception of this

--

and as mentioned in the other thread about trying to stop the automatic

Thanks just really looking for a way around that, basically when I connect
to website on Shaw it works. When I unsuccessfully try to connect to tripod
it either hangs or takes forever to time out.
If it hangs then I have I have to reboot and go through the whole thing
again. and FrontPage remembers the failed tripod publish..so just trying to
by pass the automatic "last web server" thing.

Robb

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

4) I deleted all of the directories that start with "_"[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] (underscores)

Robb Mavins

Are you uploading to TRIPOD as well or else where>

--
"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's
depressing." -Tara - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Robb Mavins said:
[...]

I believe Tripod used a customized version of the extensions, so many have
had issue with them over the years.

Best to get a real web host, that only does web hosting and specializes in
host FP web sites.

Robb Mavins said:
[...]

4) I deleted all of the directories that start with "_"[/QUOTE] (underscores)[QUOTE]
[...]

Newsgroups: If you like the SPAM song take out the"python" when you
reply
me.
[/QUOTE]