Freezing / Crashing Problem

Reaction score
Hey hows it going,

So for the past few days now I've been getting this problem where my computer just locks up everything and i can't navigate anything, but (I play a lot of wow) I am still able to chat and talk on ventrilo. My game freezes and I can't even alt tab or alt f4. So, had a blue-screen and this is the error report i don't know if it will help at all.

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BD161C66 BCP3 : AD1B1620
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Files included are

C:\DOCUME~1\NAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER02ed.dir00\Mini071311-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\NAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER02ed.dir00\sysdata.xml

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
This

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/reading-dump-files-t4035605.html

It will clue you in on what files caused the crash. I would probably lean towards something that your game stresses on. Perhaps graphics card issues: drivers, hardware failure, overheating. The fact that the system only locks up partially would lead that the application you currently run is causing the failure, which sounds like your game.

Check the dump files. Start there.

Reaction score
Thank you, seems to be a problem with my GPU drivers. I have updated my GPU drivers and going to see what happens. But here is the file it found that failed, just in case.

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED nv4_disp.dll

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
sounds like a driver issue.

If you use the MS Debugging tools, you can get more detailed, as MS built the systems both and can determine more. Combine the two tools and you get an idea of what caused it. Perhaps you will see something like <Game>.exe caused fault in nv4_disp.dll. In which case, it probably something like the game caused the driver to do something out of its range of capability or setting. Like trying to produce a resolution in the game higher than what the card can do effectively.

Graphics drivers get corrupted VERY easily, so reinstalling may or may not fix the problem. If the corruption was caused by something else, that could cause your failure. If this caused the corruption, then you have to examine WHY it caused corruption, such as the aforementioned graphics resolution.

good luck! glad you got it going though. :thumb:

Reaction score
sadly the dump file was deleted for some reason. Guess ill just wait in tell another blue screen happens if it happens.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Well, one way you can tell if it is created is by watching task manager after a restart from BSOD. there will be a dumprep.exe running. Watch as this process completes. If you don't get the dumprep running, check this out

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Make sure your system is set to create the dump and wait. Try to do exactly what you were doing last time the BSOD happened. I also recommend unticking the box for "automatically restart on error." This will allow the BSOD to stay on the screen and you can at least log that for information with pen and paper.

Reaction score
Alright, I tried to do that, but it just doesn't want to blue screen anymore. But the problem now is everything is just really choppy, like freezes for like milliseconds and what not its really annoying.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you can tell us the game/s & name the graphics card, we may be able to help further.

It's usually the drivers or overheating ... one game I play, LoTRO, will overheat my GC while non of the other do. Had to find a wee program (MSI Afterburner) to allow me to run the fan properly, since nVidia screwed up. :rolleyes:

the "nv4_disp.dll" error is an old classic error, driver needs updating/rollbacking and, only ever download GC drivers from the manufactures. :)

Reaction score
I got and 8800gts 640mb, probably going to clean all the dust from my computer today. And only games were this probably takes place is World of Warcarft, Bio-Shock and GTA 4.

Ask a Question