Windows Vista FREE Vista Codec package

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows Vista has the same problem with Windows XP and earlier Windows platform operating system, that’s all of them doesn’t come prepackaged or preinstalled with all the codecs (coder-decoder) needed to play various media files that popularly used and widely found on the web. Such codecs include Quicktime, Ogg Vorbis, Flash Video, Xvid, DivX, AC3, Real Media and etc. If you don’t have a specific codec which requires to playback a video or audio files or view the images or pictures, you won’t be able to open the files in media players meaningfully. The video may be played with sound only without motion video, or simply give not supported codec error for audio and image files.

Vista Codec Package is a free codec pack (freeware) for Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows NT that intends to solve this problem. With Vista Codec Pack package installed, you won’t need to install any other codec or filter. The codec pack combines all the best and popular codecs available in the world. The author also tracks down the latest updates to the codecs used in the pack, and tests their functionality before been updated and included in the package, plus resolve all possible conflicts. Beside, while compile all codecs into a single pack, default settings are implemented.

Vista Codec Pack does not contain a media player and does not associates filetypes of the supported media files. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player (limited by the players capabilities) to play DVD’s, movies and video clips such as quicktime, realmedia, avi, mpeg, Flv, swf, wmv, etc. Streaming video is supported in most web browsers. By default you shouldn’t need to make any adjustments to enjoy your media content immediately. Installing this player will place a shortcut in the QuickLaunch area and default all video file formats to itself. This installer is silent and will not prompt or display any message during installation. All codecs is installed once the installer is executed.
... read more info;

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/19/download-free-vista-codec-package-423/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had the Vista Codec Pack installed for a while now and it works a treat :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If the Codec pack is downloaded, does this mean that one would no longer be prompted to download Flash/Real and various other players/applications, because the relevant Codecs would already be present, thus enabling "whatever-you-clicked" to play without further plug-ins? Or have I not understood that correctly? :blush: Bit of a "senior moment" going on here I think :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
If the Codec pack is downloaded, does this mean that one would no longer be prompted to download Flash/Real and various other players/applications, because the relevant Codecs would already be present, thus enabling "whatever-you-clicked" to play without further plug-ins? Or have I not understood that correctly? :blush: Bit of a "senior moment" going on here I think :D
Maybe, maybe not ...

With this package installed you will be able to use any media player (limited by the players capabilities) to play DVD’s, movies and video clips such as quicktime, realmedia, avi, mpeg, Flv, swf, wmv, etc. Streaming video is supported in most web browsers.
... it depends on the "player" you use ... if a player can't play .mov files the codec ain't gonna re-code the player.

IE7 will "prompt" you to install the "add-ons" needed, like flash, to view contents in the browser window ... an example is YouTube ... if however you download a "file" from YT, you resident player may not be able to play it.

WinAmp is still out there, and considered one of the best "players" there is ... ;)

No, I don't use it personally ... :D

Bottom line is ... go get it anyway. :thumb:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aaah... the mists are clearing now, I see what you mean. Thanks again :thumb: :D

Ask a Question