"Free" upgrade to Vista (UK)

I bought a new PC from PC World 2 months ago. It came with a promise of a
free upgrade to Vista. The reality of this experience leaves a nasty taste in
the mouth!
Logging on to Moduslink (MS upgrade partner), I spent 30 minutes ploughing
my way through their site and answering the questions. I gave my CC details
and clicked the order button. I later eceived an email "confirming" the order
and asking me to sens a fax or scan of the receipt, for them to complete the
process. Having done so, I was informed, they would ship the upgrade CD in
4-6 weeks! I complained to Moduslink and to PC World, to no avail. The stock
answer was that this was a Microsoft-led procedure and nothing could be done
about it.
Comments:
1) Had I known at the time of purchase that I was going to have all this
hassle, I would not have made the purchase;
2) I am now in the position that I have to wait weeks for Moduslink to ship
the CD, but my local PC World store has tons of the product in stock. I can't
go down and get one from the store because of "licensing issues". I *could*,
as a new customer, go to my local store and get a new PC with Vista supplied;
3) What is the problem in shipping a CD? Microsoft is not Mickey Mouse Inc.
- surley they could have sorted out the logistics of this?
4) If Microsoft wants to maintain good customer relations, this is no way to
treat them. When the next upgrade comes, I, for one, will be thinkiong long
and hard about making the switch. Sorry, Microsoft, but having effectively
pre-ordered Vista, this treatment sucks!

Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

it's the same here in germany.
Moduslink told me it will not be shipped to me before End of March, early
April.

I have access to technet and have downloaded Vista retail from there, but my
own private copy.. well you are right - it sucks.

All the shops here have tons of vistas, they even had them before January 30
already available.

Some customers I know have bought vista oem copys around Jan 15.

SJ / germany

"Barry Pickles, Manchester, England" <Barry Pickles, Manchester,
(e-mail address removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

Mike Brannigan

[...]

What hassle - you put a few details into a web page and send them a
copy of your receipt. Why do you believe this is so much "hassle".
How else would you have thought the process should work? They need
your details and proof of purchase.
2) I am now in the position that I have to wait weeks for Moduslink
to ship
the CD, but my local PC World store has tons of the product in
stock. I can't
go down and get one from the store because of "licensing issues". I
*could*,
as a new customer, go to my local store and get a new PC with Vista
supplied;

You were never promised an immediate shipment of the upgrade. While I
understand you frustration nothing was promised here that you seem to
think is not being delivered on. You are still getting a ostensibly
free upgrade.
3) What is the problem in shipping a CD? Microsoft is not Mickey
Mouse Inc.
- surley they could have sorted out the logistics of this?

Process procedures, handling by an outside agency etc. This is not
entirely Microsoft's problem. They do not predominantly resell or
ship products this is the area for resellers and distributors. Modus
are dealing with a massive amount of work here, and again you were
never promised an immediate shipment. 4 weeks is really not that long
to wait.
4) If Microsoft wants to maintain good customer relations, this is
no way to
treat them. When the next upgrade comes, I, for one, will be
thinkiong long
and hard about making the switch. Sorry, Microsoft, but having
effectively
pre-ordered Vista, this treatment sucks!

No - you bought a PC with an upgrade offer. This is being handled
along with a huge number of other persons by one external company.
You will get your product in about 4 weeks (not really that long).
You are still getting an upgrade for next to nothing, would you
rather the offer not be made available at all ??

Beck

[...]

4-6 weeks is not that long, in fact with the amount of people applying for
free upgrade I am surprised it is that quick. Be patient or go buy it. 4-6
weeks is no time to wait for a free upgrade.

Mike Brannigan said:
What hassle - you put a few details into a web page and send them a
copy of your receipt. Why do you believe this is so much "hassle".
How else would you have thought the process should work? They need
your details and proof of purchase.
Yes, I put in a few details - it took 30 minutes. I phoned Moduslink today -
I was in a queue for 30 minutes! Isn't that hassle?
Why do they need a copy of the receipt? I have registered XP with Microsoft,
I have given Moduslink the PC make, model, serial # and COA#. This should
enable them to check when the machine was purchased, without bothering me.
I'm surprised they didn't ask me for my birth certificate, passport photo and
details of tattoos!
How should it work? Ideally, PC World would have automatically sent me the
upgrade CD when Vista was released. Alternatively, I should have been able to
go to my local store and pick one up - it's called customer service.

You were never promised an immediate shipment of the upgrade. While I
understand you frustration nothing was promised here that you seem to
think is not being delivered on. You are still getting a ostensibly
free upgrade.

true, but then I was *not* told that it would take weeks after the release.
As for being free,no it isn't. Firstly they are charging for shipping and
handling; secondly, the upgrade offer was an incentive to purchase and thus
an integral (and important) part of the sales contract.

Process procedures, handling by an outside agency etc. This is not
entirely Microsoft's problem. They do not predominantly resell or
ship products this is the area for resellers and distributors. Modus
are dealing with a massive amount of work here, and again you were
never promised an immediate shipment. 4 weeks is really not that long
to wait.

Of course it's Microsoft's problem! Who appointed Moduslink? Mic rosoft.
Whose product is it? Microsoft. Modulink's logistics problem, in the end,
devolves upon Microsoft. That is the name the customer will remember.
4 weeks not long? It is if you haven't got the product, yet the stores are
awash with the stuff and new customers get it straightaway. What that says to
the user is that Microsoft don't care about existing XP users - or those,
like me, who have been loyal to Microsoft since the days of Windows 3.1.

You are still getting an upgrade for next to nothing, would you
rather the offer not be made available at all ??
Yes, if it can't be done properly.

Barry

Peter M

Actually it is ... when I first applied for my upgrade (still stuck at COA
validated after many weeks) I was told they would be shipping when Vista
launched (from moduslink btw), then suddenly they turn around and say 4-6
wks, and now there are telling some it will be March/April. We paid for our
upgrades and now all the stores carry them including OEM and we still get
shafted. If they can supply stores so fast, why do we have to wait.
Moduslink is like an "unpolished turd", it knows it stinks but it just
doesn't care.

Beck said:
4-6 weeks is not that long, in fact with the amount of people applying for
free upgrade I am surprised it is that quick. Be patient or go buy it. 4-6
weeks is no time to wait for a free upgrade.
See my comments to Mike in the previous post. The amount of people applying
for the upgrade doesn't come into it. Since,by definition, the people wanting
an upgrade would have bought their PCs in the 2 months prior to launch, the
numbers would have been fairly reliably easy to calculate. Why should I be
patient?
Free upgrade? You make it sound as if Microsoft are doing me a favour. They
are not - it is part of the sales contract. There's no such thing as a free
lunch, remember, or, in Microsoft's case, should the more appropriate saying
be "There's one born every minute"!

Barry

Saucy Lemon

Don't be too hard on him as the impression given by the sellers is that the
upgrade to Vista was to be free! Free!! FREE!!!

4-6 weeks is not too long for a shipment of that sort. March, though, is
getting a little long IMO.

In the meantime, he can read up on Vista and be consoled that when it does
arrive, the driver 'n software situation should have improved.

Saucy Lemon

"Barry Pickles, Manchester, England"

Beck

See my comments to Mike in the previous post. The amount of people
applying
for the upgrade doesn't come into it. Since,by definition, the people
wanting
an upgrade would have bought their PCs in the 2 months prior to launch,
the
numbers would have been fairly reliably easy to calculate. Why should I be
patient?
Free upgrade? You make it sound as if Microsoft are doing me a favour.
They
are not - it is part of the sales contract. There's no such thing as a
free
lunch, remember, or, in Microsoft's case, should the more appropriate
saying
be "There's one born every minute"!

Well they are doing you a favour. They do not have to offer a free upgrade,
its not required by law they offer you this freebie.
Look on the bright side, in 4-6 weeks driver and 3rd party software support
will be much better :)

Dennis Pack

Barry:
I understand your disappointment. I'm also waiting for an upgrade so
that I can finish a system that I promised for Christmas. The upgrades
haven't shipped yet in the USA either.
Per your statement "Free upgrade? You make it sound as if Microsoft
are doing me a favour. They are not - it is part of the sales contract.",
you are forgetting the terms agreed to when you ordered the Free Upgrade
which is also part of the sales contract.
"Terms and Conditions:
1. The upgrade offer provided in the Upgrade Redemption Website is void
where prohibited or restricted by law. Limit one upgrade per qualifying new
PC.
2. The Upgrade Software will ship within approximately 4-6 weeks after the
later of the date you completed the redemption order requirements or the
availability date of the Upgrade Software in your requested language version
in your country.
3. You can check the status of your order at
http://upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista or call one of the following toll free
numbers with questions:
EUROPEAN AMERICAS ASIA PACIFIC
Germany: 00800 666 44 666 United Kingdom: 00800 666 44 666
France: 00800 666 44 666 Italy: 00800 666 44 666 Netherlands: 00800 666 44
666
Spain: 900 973154 US & Canada 800-817-5602 North China: 10-800-6500488
South China: 10-800-2650501 Australia: 1800-603517 Korea: 00-798-6517346
Japan: 00-531-650399 Singapore: 1800-2221111"