Force New Window to Open Instead of Taking Over Existing One

canadabasin

Hi all,

Two instances of a problem to share:

1)I have a web page that I go to from a link in my network, and if I
have something open in another window, it always opens in that window
instead of in a new one.

2)Another instance of this happening is when I'm listening to an online
radio station. Often they have a little applet running in a window, and
if you click on a web link somewhere, it opens it in the litte applet
window!

In both instances I have to open IE first to get a free window, then I
open the application or applet second so it is not first in the task
bar. IE picks the first window open in the task bar to use in both
instances.

This is annoying and I was wondering if there was someway to "lock" a
window from being used when open. I know I can open a link in a new
window by holding the shift key, but that doesn't help me in instance
one with my application link. Is there some command I could put in the
icon that would force the application to open in a new window? Can I
force IE to "always" open a new window?

TIA!!

Galen

In (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]> had this to say:

[...]

Open IE
Click Tools
Click Options
Advanced Tab
UNtick reuse windows for launching shortcuts
Click Okay

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

I have the same problem - cannot open multiple copies of IE - but the fix
suggested doesn`t solve my problem. Any other ideas ?

Lewis

Don Varnau

Hi,
You probably have a toolbar or program running which is blocking pop-up
windows- something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're sure that another program isn't causing this, these links should
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/26.html
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/27.html

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Lewis" wrote in message

canadabasin

SUCCESS!! Thanks Galen! And I do have Google Toolbar running, but it
is still allowing a new window to launch. Thanks for the tip!

Galen

In (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]> had this to say:

SUCCESS!! Thanks Galen! And I do have Google Toolbar running, but it
is still allowing a new window to launch. Thanks for the tip!

LOL No worries and I'm glad it helped... If it rains any more here I might
float down the mountain and almost end up there in Canada so I'll make sure
you're still around and online so you can teach me Canuck (not French as I
took a year of that in school and it did absolutely NO good.) Use, in
addition, the popup blocker from ONE OR THE OTHER and NOT from both Google
and the updated IE. One or the other... Not both! <g> Else you'll end up
being all sorts of confused. I'd recommend the IE pop-up blocker as it's
pretty decent and easy enough to manage. It misses a couple of popup scripts
and a delayed pop-up but it's so easy to use that the one or two windows
you'll have to close manually over a week make it worth just using.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes