I get rid of these ridiculous fine fonts? This seems to be the
height of stupidity. Its the same size but its really thin so you can
hardly see it. What a waste of space! The font should be as
thick as possible so the smallest font possible can be used. Also glare
is reduced with thicker fonts. As I'm writing this in OE
(1920 x 1200 24" monitor) the message body looks fine but the Subject,
Newsgroups and News Server fields above are using that same
super-fine font - but its about the same size as the easily legible
font I'm using here. Makes no sense. Where are the solutions?
Suggestions anybody?

Go to "Help and Support" in the main menu, and enter "ClearType". It
is an option which will "thicken" the fonts, and help with a
1920x1200 display. I have a smaller display than yours, and I have it
enabled.

In the Display control panel, under Advanced, there is a DPI
setting. I'm using 120DPI (125%) right now with my display.
One problem with this, is not all dialogs handle a change to
that setting very well. In "Help and Support", try "custom dpi"
as a search term.

Changing it in each applications seems to be a labor intensive
way to compensate. But if the application doesn't behave well,
it might be the most straightforward solution.

When using the Firefox web browser, I hold down the control key,
then use my scroll wheel, to change screen magnification. Since
the 3.x.x release came out, screen magnification now includes
pictures, so everything is magnified. That helps me when my
eyes are tired and things are going out of focus.

HTH,
Paul

G

GeV

If you need larger or smaller fonts you need it for all your programs, all your windows, all your message boxes. For me, with lousy
vision, enlarging fonts is a very time consuming and largely iffectual undertaking because there is no "minimum font size" it would
seem. Is there a program that addresses this? If you need larger fonts in your web browser obvoiusly you need larger fonts in your
email program, in your usenet program, in your IM program. In all your programs. The eyes do not improve suddenly when switching
between programs. Perhaps the problem is that most of the software designers have good vision so they don't realize this widespread
problem. Likewise, if your vision is great you want the maximum info on the screen possible so you want to bring all your fonts
down to a consistent level. Everybody should be able to dial in their preferred size of font. Surely there is a solution out
there. When I change the fonts in Appearance and in the Advanced area there and in Settings, Adapter it helps somewhat but there
always seems to be some that are still not consistent. Also, how do I get rid of these ridiculous fine fonts? This seems to be the
height of stupidity. Its the same size but its really thin so you can hardly see it. What a waste of space! The font should be as
thick as possible so the smallest font possible can be used. Also glare is reduced with thicker fonts. As I'm writing this in OE
(1920 x 1200 24" monitor) the message body looks fine but the Subject, Newsgroups and News Server fields above are using that same
super-fine font - but its about the same size as the easily legible font I'm using here. Makes no sense. Where are the solutions?
Suggestions anybody?

T

Terry R.

The date and time was Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:56:58 PM, and on a whim,
GeV pounded out on the keyboard:
If you need larger or smaller fonts you need it for all your programs, all your windows, all your message boxes. For me, with lousy
vision, enlarging fonts is a very time consuming and largely iffectual undertaking because there is no "minimum font size" it would
seem. Is there a program that addresses this? If you need larger fonts in your web browser obvoiusly you need larger fonts in your
email program, in your usenet program, in your IM program. In all your programs. The eyes do not improve suddenly when switching
between programs. Perhaps the problem is that most of the software designers have good vision so they don't realize this widespread
problem. Likewise, if your vision is great you want the maximum info on the screen possible so you want to bring all your fonts
down to a consistent level. Everybody should be able to dial in their preferred size of font. Surely there is a solution out
there. When I change the fonts in Appearance and in the Advanced area there and in Settings, Adapter it helps somewhat but there
always seems to be some that are still not consistent. Also, how do I get rid of these ridiculous fine fonts? This seems to be the
height of stupidity. Its the same size but its really thin so you can hardly see it. What a waste of space! The font should be as
thick as possible so the smallest font possible can be used. Also glare is reduced with thicker fonts. As I'm writing this in OE
(1920 x 1200 24" monitor) the message body looks fine but the Subject, Newsgroups and News Server fields above are using that same
super-fine font - but its about the same size as the easily legible font I'm using here. Makes no sense. Where are the solutions?
Suggestions anybody?

Hi GeV,

Did you try the Accessibility Options, Display tab in Control Panel? You
can set a shortcut to use high contrasting fonts and colors that might
help. Also try the Magnifier utility:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/magnifierturnon.aspx

Terry R.

Ask a Question