Fog!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, I've just looked out my window and I can't see more than 20 meters!

Not seen anything like this before in the middle of Manchester :eek: Anyone else surrounded by thick fog this chilly morning?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No fog here just a beautiful sunny crisp cold winters day...:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks like we're in for a cold winter - I don't mind because I love the cold, but it's not good for the elderly :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Earlier it was really sunny and very cold, one of those days when it looks great.....from inside!! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
Looks like we're in for a cold winter - I don't mind because I love the cold, but it's not good for the elderly :(
HEY! watch who you calling elderly ... had to out this morning into this stuff, all my bones have seized up. :rolleyes:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
HEY! watch who you calling elderly ... had to out this morning into this stuff, all my bones have seized up. :rolleyes:

I didn't call you elderly! ;) My grandparents have both got colds at the moment :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I didn't call you elderly! ;) My grandparents have both got colds at the moment :(
Yes you did, I seen you.

Did they get their Flu jabs? I had mine on Saturday. :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yes you did, I seen you.

Did they get their Flu jabs? I had mine on Saturday. :thumb:

Yes, they had them at the begining of November :) I think it's just something going around where they are

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Cor, this fog isn't shifting! Usually you expect it to go away as the day goes on, but it's gotten worse if anything! :eek:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That fog has finally hit here now...I got visibility down to about 50 yards now and looks like its gonna close in even more for the night....:(

Reaction score
Been foggy here near Wigan all day and gettin colder. I love this kind of weather, and I hope it stays like this tomorrow 'cos I'm hiking in the Lakes (perhaps even ON the lakes if it gets cold enough:D )

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

Bad freezing fog forecast tonight (21 November) across most of North UK and snow/sleet forecast on Thursday 24 November. Feels like it's going to be a proper winter this year!!!!

Gabs xx

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Apparently the two coldest days in history are January 10th ...months away..dropped to -23 in shropshire a few years ago...Triple Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here in ye olde London Village we have a light mist forming and it's -1C tonight.

It's just taken me one hour to drive four miles, all of SE London is gridlocked following an accident on the M25.

Dartford Tunnel blocked so everybody trying to use Blackwall Tunnel and Woolwich Ferry :mad:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Rush said:
Apparently the two coldest days in history are January 10th ...months away..dropped to -23 in shropshire a few years ago...Triple Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I was at my parents house in Shropshire on that day - there was ice on the outside of the double glazing all day:eek:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Central heating must have been on the verge of meltdown m8 !!

muckshifter

Reaction score
I predict ... we'll see this again. :D

1963 The coldest month this century (-2.1C CET), the fifth coldest month ever, and part of the Big Freeze. Indeed, this was the coldest month since 1814. There as not a single westerly or southwesterly day in sight: there were 20 easterly days (with the rest calm or northerly).

Much of England and Wales was snow-covered throughout. A notable snowstorm occurred on the 3-4th in the Southwest and Welsh Borders, with drifts up to 5 m deep, and 10-20 cm of fresh level snow in places; the snow was accompanied by a strong wind. Shawbury had a maximum of -7C on the 12th. -16C was recorded at Gatwick and Eskdalemuir on the 13th, with freezing fog.

It was slightly less cold midmonth, as winds turned slightly more northerly; however, many places still managed to stay beneath freezing from the 15-25th. Winds turned easterly again on the 17th for the most severe week of the winter. There was a minimum of -22.2C at Braemar on the 18th: this was the lowest minimum of the winter. There was another notable blizzard on the 19-20th, particularly affecting the southeast, with widespread maxima of -5C in the south.

There was freezing rain in places on the 20th. In this spell, the highest hourly mean wind speed records were set (99 mph, at Great Dun Fell, Cumbria, on the 15th, and Lowther Hill, Scotland, on the 20th). The lowest minimum reported in England was -20.6C at Hereford on the 23rd; also -20.6C at Stanstead Abbotts (Herts.), early on the 23rd, and then a maximum of only -8C at Ross-on-Wye the next day.

There was a snowdrift 25' deep on Dartmoor on the 21st. There was much freezing fog on the 24th. For the first time since 1947, there was pack ice on large estuaries such as the Solent, Mersey, and Humber. At Eastbourne the sea was reported as frozen to an extent of 100' offshore for a length of 2 miles.

The weather turned less cold on the 26th, with some places having the first frost-free night of the month. Pressure of 1048 mbar in Scotland on the 27th. Winter as a whole was the wost since 1739-40. One consequence of the prevailing easterlies was that some sheltered westerly locations were very sunny: St Mawgan (Cornwall) reached 114.4 hours (a record). Also some westerly spots were extremely dry. See also December 1962 and February 1963.
Hence I rate this the most interesting January of the century.

... will we beat it this coming January? :eek:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Like Mucks stated earlier ..lets all spare a thought for the elderley at this time..

Ask a Question