fixed start-up problems, however still freezes

G

Hey all,
refer to previous post:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...port&mid=b651dd62-fd5e-404e-a662-1e1585f2bab8

Well, here's where I stand. HP Pavilions are not sent out with recovery disks, the recovery software is on another partition on the hard drive. To access press F10 on boot up. After doing a non-destructive reinstall the start-up problems are gone. However; after spending all day working on this computer to fix it, it still freezes. Now, the computer was never on for an extended period of time during the day. it was constantly having to be restarted. Then it was on for a couple hours tonight and it froze. (it did not freeze at all during the day).
Since it evidently isn't a software problem (it doesn’t matter what program is being used, it will freeze with any program. Also it will freeze under extremely light workloads. Also a fresh install of windows. Also I've gone through the task manager monitoring what programs are running and everything appears legit.)
Could this be a hardware problem; overheating, power surge screwed up the processor, something?
I've run HP's PC Doctor on everything, the processor, memory, hard drives, ect. everything check out Okay.
When it freezes the monitor jumps to vertical bars of different widths and solid colors, mostly the colors that were on the screen before. key board and mouse are non-responsive.
HP wants to charge me $30 to talk to a customer rep. So, anyone with any ideas?

M

mike

-----Original Message-----
Hey all,
refer to previous post:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/ reader.mspx?
dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support&mid=b651dd6
2-fd5e-404e-a662-1e1585f2bab8

Well, here's where I stand. HP Pavilions are not
sent out with recovery disks, the recovery software is on
another partition on the hard drive. To access press F10
on boot up. After doing a non-destructive reinstall the
start-up problems are gone. However; after spending all
day working on this computer to fix it, it still freezes.
Now, the computer was never on for an extended period of
time during the day. it was constantly having to be
restarted. Then it was on for a couple hours tonight and
it froze. (it did not freeze at all during the day).
Since it evidently isn't a software problem (it
doesnâ?Tt matter what program is being used, it will
freeze with any program. Also it will freeze under
extremely light workloads. Also a fresh install of
windows. Also I've gone through the task manager
monitoring what programs are running and everything
appears legit.)
Could this be a hardware problem; overheating, power
surge screwed up the processor, something?
I've run HP's PC Doctor on everything, the
processor, memory, hard drives, ect. everything check out
Okay.
When it freezes the monitor jumps to vertical bars
of different widths and solid colors, mostly the colors
that were on the screen before. key board and mouse are
non-responsive.
HP wants to charge me $30 to talk to a customer rep. So, anyone with any ideas?
try cleaning the cpu fan, use canned air and take the
fan out to get it really good. and reinstall fan use the
heat transfer stuff between the fan and cpu.

B

Brian Fox

Sounds like a video driver problem. Try using these troubleshooting instructions:
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/1999110214272339
to switch to the standard VGA adapter driver & see if that solves it.

: Hey all,
: refer to previous post:
:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...port&mid=b651dd62-fd5e-404e-a662-1e1585f2bab8
:
: Well, here's where I stand. HP Pavilions are not sent out with recovery disks,
the recovery software is on another partition on the hard drive. To access press F10 on
boot up. After doing a non-destructive reinstall the start-up problems are gone.
However; after spending all day working on this computer to fix it, it still freezes.
Now, the computer was never on for an extended period of time during the day. it was
constantly having to be restarted. Then it was on for a couple hours tonight and it
froze. (it did not freeze at all during the day).
: Since it evidently isn't a software problem (it doesn't matter what program is
being used, it will freeze with any program. Also it will freeze under extremely light
workloads. Also a fresh install of windows. Also I've gone through the task manager
monitoring what programs are running and everything appears legit.)
: Could this be a hardware problem; overheating, power surge screwed up the
processor, something?
: I've run HP's PC Doctor on everything, the processor, memory, hard drives, ect.
everything check out Okay.
: When it freezes the monitor jumps to vertical bars of different widths and solid
colors, mostly the colors that were on the screen before. key board and mouse are
non-responsive.
: HP wants to charge me $30 to talk to a customer rep. So, anyone with any ideas?

Ask a Question