machine keeps freezing

G

At random times when I am working on my pc, the screen will suddenly flash once and then everything freezes up. I have no mouse or keyboard function and I have to reboot from the power button on my tower. This flash-and-freeze behavior has happened both during startup of the pc and when I am working in an application (it does not appear connected to any particular app or type of apps). My pc is an HP Pavilion running Wondows XP Home and my monitor is a ViewSonic. The monitor is about 5 years old and I have had no problems with it before.
I bought Norton Utilities to troubleshoot the disk and Windows and it found many problems and fixed them but I still have this flash-and-freeze problem. I am not sure if it is related to the monitor or if there is something that XP doesn't like when it displays forms to the screen or there is something else going on (a virus?). Does anyone recognize this problem or have any ideas? I plan to take the pc to a repair shop to look at it when I get the time but I would like more information at least in case this is something I can fix.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

M

Maeve

I know it sounds stupid but I seem to have the same problem when it is very
hot (temperature). I turn it off at the tower and it is is OK when I turn
on the air conditioner! My son has checked my fans in the computer but
still it happens, so it must have something to do with the heat!

J

Joseph Meehan

My first two guesses are heat or a bad memory chip.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bruce Moser said:
At random times when I am working on my pc, the screen will suddenly flash
once and then everything freezes up. I have no mouse or keyboard function
and I have to reboot from the power button on my tower. This
flash-and-freeze behavior has happened both during startup of the pc and
when I am working in an application (it does not appear connected to any
particular app or type of apps). My pc is an HP Pavilion running Wondows XP
Home and my monitor is a ViewSonic. The monitor is about 5 years old and I
have had no problems with it before.
I bought Norton Utilities to troubleshoot the disk and Windows and it
found many problems and fixed them but I still have this flash-and-freeze
problem. I am not sure if it is related to the monitor or if there is
something that XP doesn't like when it displays forms to the screen or there
is something else going on (a virus?). Does anyone recognize this problem
or have any ideas? I plan to take the pc to a repair shop to look at it
when I get the time but I would like more information at least in case this
is something I can fix.

C

Chuck

At random times when I am working on my pc, the screen will suddenly flash once and then everything freezes up. I have no mouse or keyboard function and I have to reboot from the power button on my tower. This flash-and-freeze behavior has happened both during startup of the pc and when I am working in an application (it does not appear connected to any particular app or type of apps). My pc is an HP Pavilion running Wondows XP Home and my monitor is a ViewSonic. The monitor is about 5 years old and I have had no problems with it before.
I bought Norton Utilities to troubleshoot the disk and Windows and it found many problems and fixed them but I still have this flash-and-freeze problem. I am not sure if it is related to the monitor or if there is something that XP doesn't like when it displays forms to the screen or there is something else going on (a virus?). Does anyone recognize this problem or have any ideas? I plan to take the pc to a repair shop to look at it when I get the time but I would like more information at least in case this is something I can fix.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

Bruce,

Check for the latest video updates from the manufacturer.

Check for spyware. You need HijackThis, Spybot S&D, and expert advice
at SWI Forums (all free). Complete instructions are available at:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=5187

Are your WindowsXP patches up to date?

Cheers,

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question