*Fix* Update Error 0x80240022 Wrong diskette is in the drive

Dave M

Lots of reports lately of this error 0x80240022: The wrong diskette is in
the drive. Insert %2 (Volume Serial Number: %3) into drive %1

There seem to be many solutions possible. I'll try to list the successful
ones that I'm aware of, pardon the flagrant plagiarism and thanks to the
many contributors to this list:

1- I solved this problem by uninstalling defender and clearing all
register records for it, rebooting and then installing defender again .
You can use whichever registry cleaner, or regedit to scan & find each
"defender" word in the registry editor and delete all keys.

2- I, too, was unable to update. To fix the problem I did this:
0) Stop Windows Defender (not uninstall)
1) Start->Run->Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}
2) Accept defaults
3) Start->Run->services.msc
4) In Services window, start both the Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and the Windows Installer service
5) Restart Windows Defender
6) Hit the 'Check for Updates' button again
=> this time it worked

3- Just in case the above didn't work for anyone just like it didn't for
myself, you might want to try disabling your firewall and/or antivirus
program while updating your definitions. I'm running Kerio Personal
Firewall and it was preventing me from updating and I was getting the same
message. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as the tips above
to no avail....alas, it was something as simple as my firewall causing the
hitch in my giddy-up.

4- Steve Dodson [MSFT] WD team asked for input in the event of definition
update problems. Here's his post again, drop him a line.
I wanted to step back and make sure we have the definition updating
mechanism
in place and working for all the beta testers. To make sure we are firing
in
all cylinders, I am asking any user to let me know if definitions are not
downloading and installing for them. One caveat is that users behind SUS or
WSUS servers may be running into issues set by their system admins, so I
cannot help there. However, home users and others not behind corporate
update servers please let me know your signature woes (if any). My contact
information is below; just drop the "online" from the email.

(e-mail address removed)

Notice: Remove online. from the above to make it valid.

Dave M

No Problem, you're welcome. We were all over the map in here and the
Windows Live One Care newsgroup seemed to be handling it better so I cross
posted, besides Steve Dodson might be lonesome for some e-mail. LOL

--

Regards, Dave

Thank you Dave.

Dave M said:
[...]

<VBG> ;-)

Dave M said:
[...]

Hi Dave, you did not tell us how to fix this problem???????

Engel said:
<VBG> ;-)

:

[...]

Hi Chris;

Right you are, I don't have this problem myself, but we don't have it
solved in this newsgroup, so I cross posted three reported solutions from
the WindowsLiveOneCare newsgroups where posters there have said they've
used one of three different techniques which resolved the problem for them
personally. Without those cross posted reports you would never have seen
them or have been able to try them unless you also follow those Ms
Newsgroups. Since I don't have privy to the WD code as Steve Dodson and
his Microsoft team do, that's who you should be telling that you haven't
been able to resolve this issue if one of these techniques doesn't do it
for you, see my initial post item 4-. One of the purposes of a Beta is to
repair non-working code or errors resulting from that code and only
Microsoft can do that. This issue has been around since at least 2/14
without a specific resolution, however lately the reports of it have grown
more frequent and that needs to be brought to Microsoft's attention, even
if it has been reported here before.

Let us know if you have any success with any of these suggested fixes. I
don't guarantee any of them will work for you, but one might.

hello dave!
i am having the same problem. i was trying to start the background
intelligent transfer but i cant!
what should i do?
i am desperate!!

Dave M

Hi kozkoz;

This is a pretty old thread, although since it was first started we've
determined that, if your on Win2000, the fix is clearly to first install
the root certificates update (an update that is categorized as optional but
actually is necessary for WindowsDefender running under Win2000):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924123

If your on another of the supported Operating Systems and getting this
error, the fix is less clearly defined, but the general suggestion is to go
with this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918355

Also,I want to let you know that Ms made a decision not to support Win2000
in Windows Defender going forward with their Final release of the
Anti-Spyware product. The Beta 2 versions should continue to work through
December, 2006. If you are on Win2000, you should be looking for another
Anti-Spyware product to support you starting next year. AVG has been
mentioned as a good candidate... of course there are other possibilities as
well.