Firefox is bad for the Internet

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well it gave me a laugh too ...

Internet content is available for free, largely, and what pays for that is advertising. The excellent Firefox browser includes the ability to block these ads on websites, through a third-party tool called AdBlock Plus.

Now, here at Computeractive, we're fairly sanguine about that - true, our site is supported by the revenue from ads, and if you don't click on them, we lose out on money. But that's the user's choice - Firefox remains an good browser, and we'd prefer people to be able to read our site, even if they can't see the ads.

Some people don't feel the same way, however, which is why one web developer has started to block all Firefox users from his site.

Danny Carlton doesn't seem to like Firefox, or its users, whom he accuses of stealing his revenue, because they (or at least, the few of them who use both Firefox and Adblock) can't see his ads. If you click on that above link to his religion website using Firefox, you'll be redirected to the 'why Firefox is blocked' site instead.

Of course, if you really wanted to view the guy's websites, you could just use another Firefox add-on to fool the site into thinking you're using Internet Explorer.

So what do you think? Is it true that not viewing ads on a free website is equivalent to theft? Is Adblock morally wrong?
Sorry to tell you this, but, it isn't confined to FF.

Try visiting that site with any browser that has ad-blocking, including IE, and you won't be able to view the page either.

Ain't some people really daft.
laughingsmiley.gif

So ...

"Is Adblocking morally wrong?"

Not to me, especially as some ads can, and have been, malicious and detrimental to your PC

Adblocking stays on MY PCs.
nod.gif

user.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
dont know about you, but i never click on ads
so does that mean he hates me too? :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Alf said:
dont know about you, but i never click on ads
so does that mean he hates me too? :D

No . But it does mean that you are an international thief . Your favourite colour isn't pink by any chance .

;)

Reaction score
As an webmaster, you have rights to insert advertisements on your pages. On the other hand, a visitor has rights to block ads with any software, what so ever.
I don't think that blocking all the FireFox users is a right decision. About 40% users now use FireFox to browse internet. So banning firefox means you are losing 40% visitors, only a few of those actually use AdBlock Plus. I personally like firfox but I don't use AdBlock Plus..

I believe banning all the fireforx users will make you looser rather than a winner.

Reaction score
They are definitely going to lose out. Firefox is growing by the day and starting to take market share from IE. If Firefox ever wins the race I am sure they will change their tune

Ask a Question