Fire rips through the Cutty Sark

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Saw that on the news this morning, Its a real shame, its a landmark and a piece of history. :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You beat me to it feckit :)

I was going to post this as a new thread, but I'll stick it here:

Some toe rag set fire to the Cutty Sark :(

005.jpg

News Link

To say I'm upset would be something of an understatement.

It's odd, the boat's been there all my life but I only recently sort of noticed it, if you know what I mean.

Luckily, the damage doesn't seem to be too bad.

Here's some pix I took of it in May 05:

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope whoever that pillock was gets caught if it was done on purpose :mad:

At least some of the ship was off-site as it was being restored.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
[QUOTE]Floppybootstomp said:
Here's some pix I took of it in May 05:[/QUOTE]

Aaarrrghh.... no pics again :(

It is such a shame, she was such a beautiful-looking ship. Did anyone hear the interview with one of the Cutty Sark conservation people on Radio 4 this morning? He said that quite a lot of artefacts had been removed (presumably for conservation purposes) prior to the fire, so thankfully they escaped damage. He also said that quite a bit of the fire damage could probably be restored, but obviously, a restoration is not the same as seeing the original, historic fabric of the ship :(

What on earth motivates these idiots to deliberately damage something like this? Completely brainless! :mad:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have actually been on that ship, no, not when it was first launched, quite an insight to see what the conditions were like.

As you say TC, brainless idiots. :mad:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Cutty Sark

Beautiful ship. If it was arson the arsonist should be strung up from the yardarm.

Reaction score
Words cannot express how angry this made me. I havn't been that angry in a very, very long time.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm bl**dy p****ed off about what has happened and the Twats that have possibly done this...Only been on her once way back on a school trip years ago, and she was a sight to behold, With towering masts and Rigging...

This is an exert from something I was reading about her earlier today..

"About 250 planks of wood, 50 per cent of the ship is in different warehouses in the area and the masts are on display at Chatham Historic Dockyard.

"The timbers that remain on the ship were growing during the battle of Agincourt so it's much harder to destroy those beams."

He said the ship needed to be preserved as a "treasure for the world", adding it had inspired Ellen MacArthur.

He said: "This ship was a legend in its lifetime. It was the Ferrari of the seas and set a record when it took just 72 days to get from Sydney in Australia to London with a full cargo.

"She has been to every major port in the world.

"It cost £300,000 to build the dry dock she sits in now, which was a considerable cost just after two world wars. She helped to make the wealth of London and she has a very special place as an icon of this world heritage site at Greenwich. This is part of our national identity."

72 days to get from Sydney in Australia to London

All the more reason why we now have to get the funding for her restoration on track and quick...
nod.gif

Fantastic pics flopp's just like I remember her when I was a kid..Thanks for posting those up...:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
-72 hours to get from Sydney in Australia to London-
-----------------------------------------------------------
Er, i think you mean 72 Days!;)

Reaction score
If caught string the little sods up from the yard-arm.:thumb:
None of this euoropean human rights crap, birch them & in public!;)

Ask a Question