Cutty Sark

Reaction score
Did anyone see on BBC2 The story of the refurbishment of the Cuttyn Sark absolutly great great program.:thumb:if not catch it on the BBC iplayer very interesting..

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Most of that prog was on TV several weeks ago - and very interesting too.

The recent episode had a different ending as the ship had been officially opened since the first one.

Super story. :)

Some criticism of the glass surround however. Some feel that it removes the view of the ship's lines at sea level.

Reaction score
The SS Great Britain in Bristol Docks has at the water line water sandwiched between two glass panels which is flowing which gives a good impression of the ship as if it was floating in the dry dock

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The SS Great Britain in Bristol Docks has at the water line water sandwiched between two glass panels which is flowing which gives a good impression of the ship as if it was floating in the dry dock

SS Great Britain

I'd be very worried if the sea was this colur whilst I was sailing
blissysmile.gif

Reaction score
The Cutty Sark is near Sir Flopps me thinks.
He must have seen the changes over the last few years!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Cutty Sark is near Sir Flopps me thinks.
He must have seen the changes over the last few years!

I have, I have...

Pix on this very forum I think. I also have some pix of the boat before the restoration/fire, without the glass 'bubble' surrounding it.

I liked the idea of raising the boat a few metres so people could walk right underneath but that surround, in my opinion, is just plain yucky. Modernisation on something that is distinctly old-fashioned, they just don't merge.

It gives the boat the appearance of a hovercraft and I keep thinking that if The Cutty Sark could muster up one decent fart it would take off at great speed across the Thames and end up in Canary Wharf.

Some imagination eh? I blame the drugs all those years ago :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have, I have...

Pix on this very forum I think. I also have some pix of the boat before the restoration/fire, without the glass 'bubble' surrounding it.

I liked the idea of raising the boat a few metres so people could walk right underneath but that surround, in my opinion, is just plain yucky. Modernisation on something that is distinctly old-fashioned, they just don't merge.

It gives the boat the appearance of a hovercraft and I keep thinking that if The Cutty Sark could muster up one decent fart it would take off at great speed across the Thames and end up in Canary Wharf.

Some imagination eh? I blame the drugs all those years ago :eek:

Flops pics of the Sark

:D

Ask a Question