File sharing

Reaction score
Can anyone on here help me with file sharing?

I have a linksys router HU200.

Windows xp home sp2,one laptop,desktop.

wanted to share files with both the laptop and the desktop pc.

But no luck yep.

Reaction score
got any firewalls running?
i had no end of probs with my router setup until i disabled my firewalls, no need for firewalls on most routers as the have em built in, click on my computer and find the drives you want to share then right click it and click on sharing and security, then click the sharing tab and it should ask you if your sure you want to share, if yes just click on the text and in the next window check the "share this folder on the network" box and it should start to share.

Last edited:
Reaction score
moriati said:
got any firewalls running?
i had no end of probs with my router setup until i disabled my firewalls, no need for firewalls on most routers as the have em built in, click on my computer and find the drives you want to share then right click it and click on sharing and security, then click the sharing tab and it should ask you if your sure you want to share, if yes just click on the text and in the next window check the "share this folder on the network" box and it should start to share.

thanks for that

I have my wireless router locked with wpa.

So is it running safe then? I do not wanted people viewing my files but me.

But acces it block on the program files and windows.

But i can view c drive and change files on the desktop pc.

Is this right?

Reaction score
thats how it all works for me. i've got two xp pc's on a linksys wireless network with no running firewalls, all i can do is share files and folders but i cannot access the second pc's progam files or windows. i'm not sure if there is a way to do it, so far i've not needed to so haven't tried to. my understanding is that a router acts as a hardware firewall as opposed to the software firewalls so you only really need one or the other.

http://ask-leo.com/do_i_need_a_firewall_and_if_so_what_kind.html

Ask a Question