File Protection error

Hi

Windows Server 2000. The Systmen Event Viewer is loaded
with Windows File Protection errors with different DLL
files, such as this for example:

The protected system file c:\winnt\system32\winrnr.dll
could not be restored to its original, valid version. The
specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was
present in the subject.]

We have re-installed the latest SP to no avail.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your posting here.

The problem can occur if the master system catalog database is corrupted. I
would like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Product Support Services
for the catfix tool to resolve this issue via telephone.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Thank you for using our Newsgroup.

Best regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: <[email protected]>
Subject: File Protection error
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:54:22 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Hi

Windows Server 2000. The Systmen Event Viewer is loaded
with Windows File Protection errors with different DLL
files, such as this for example:

The protected system file c:\winnt\system32\winrnr.dll
could not be restored to its original, valid version. The
specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was
present in the subject.]

We have re-installed the latest SP to no avail.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Bob

I did contact my local Microsoft Technical Support, here
in Britain, and told them what you advised me. The reply
is that:

First, they did not know what "catfix" means.

Second, they said that in order to supply a hotfix, they
would need a KB number or the number of the hotfix.

They told me to come back to you and put these questions
to you.

Thank for the reply.

Best

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:54:22 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Hi

Windows Server 2000. The Systmen Event Viewer is loaded
with Windows File Protection errors with different DLL
files, such as this for example:

The protected system file c:\winnt\system32 \winrnr.dll
could not be restored to its original, valid version. The
specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was
present in the subject.]

We have re-installed the latest SP to no avail.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.

If windows file protection is attempting to replace a file then something
modified that file.

You can try running "sfc /scannow" from the run line. It will ask for the
cd but should check all the protected files.

If you are seeing the same file be effected multiple times you might try
using filemon from sysinternals to see what is touching it.

--
James Brandt [MSFT]

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:54:22 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Hi

Windows Server 2000. The Systmen Event Viewer is loaded
with Windows File Protection errors with different DLL
files, such as this for example:

The protected system file c:\winnt\system32 \winrnr.dll
could not be restored to its original, valid version. The
specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was
present in the subject.]

We have re-installed the latest SP to no avail.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.

Thanks James

"sfc /scannow" was the first thing I've tried.

The following KB, which has recently been withdrawn from
MS site, mentionned the same error message code
(0x800b0100) but it says "ignore it" !

Windows File Protection Error Messages Generated During
Windows 2000 ServicePack 1 Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263566

This is what it says:

The system file c:\winnt\system32\gdi32.dll could not be
copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is
0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.]
This file is necessary to maintain system stability.
The error messages can be ignored.

CAUSE

During SP1 installation, Event Viewer may log these types
of error messages when newly installed files are added to
the dynamic-link library (DLL) cache. The issue
originates with the retail release of Windows 2000, but
occurs when you are installing SP1. The WFP logging
occurs before the completion of the SP1 installation,
which contains an updated Sfc.dll (System File Checker)
file to correct these error messages. This file does not
take effect until you reboot the computer.

End quote

Bob said that there is "catfix" for it and I hope that he
would give me some more information about it.

Regards

Best
[...]

and
confers no rights.
--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:54:22 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Hi

Windows Server 2000. The Systmen Event Viewer is loaded
with Windows File Protection errors with
different
DLL
files, such as this for example:

The protected system file c:\winnt\system32 \winrnr.dll
could not be restored to its original, valid version. The
specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was
present in the subject.]

We have re-installed the latest SP to no avail.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.

.

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

If the error occurs during the installation of Windows 2000 Service Pack 1
(SP1), you may ignore it. If the error keeps occuring after that, please
contact the local PSS and provide the KB number 301404 to them. This KB is
not published so that you could not see it. However, your local PSS should
have the permission to open it. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: File Protection error
| Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:35:35 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Thanks James
|
| "sfc /scannow" was the first thing I've tried.
|
| The following KB, which has recently been withdrawn from
| MS site, mentionned the same error message code
| (0x800b0100) but it says "ignore it" !
|
| Windows File Protection Error Messages Generated During
| Windows 2000 ServicePack 1 Installation
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263566
|
| This is what it says:

| The system file c:\winnt\system32\gdi32.dll could not be
| copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is
| 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.]
| This file is necessary to maintain system stability.
| The error messages can be ignored.
|
| CAUSE
|
| During SP1 installation, Event Viewer may log these types
| of error messages when newly installed files are added to
| the dynamic-link library (DLL) cache. The issue
| originates with the retail release of Windows 2000, but
| occurs when you are installing SP1. The WFP logging
| occurs before the completion of the SP1 installation,
| which contains an updated Sfc.dll (System File Checker)
| file to correct these error messages. This file does not
| take effect until you reboot the computer.
|
| End quote
|
| Bob said that there is "catfix" for it and I hope that he
| would give me some more information about it.
|
| Regards
|
| Best

Thank you Bob !
Thank you James !
Thank you Jack !

I contacted my local Microsoft and I have to tell you that I struggled to
make the Customer Relations understand that not only Bob, not only James and
not only Jack who told me that there exists a catfix for my problem, but all
of them !!! I told that bloke from Customer Relations: "how on earth can
you can argue with them, don't you know who they are?" He said: "no". I
said: "they are god of the software and it's a sin to argue with them !!!"
He then said: "I will speak to my Supervisor". I said, please do ! He came
back to me and said that he would escalate my call. I ended up with a woman
this time. That sounded good to me. She nicely logged my call and issued
me with a number. After that, she passed me to Microsoft Product Support
Services. His name's Patrick Evans and he was very helpful. I gave him the
ticket number and as soon as I told him about my problem and what Bob, James
and Jack said to me in the Newsgroup, he understood. He found the "catfix"
and he opened the KB 301404. 10 minutes later the "catfix.bat" in a zip
folder was in my Inbox. I haven't applied it yet as my network is down.

Thank you Bob !
Thank you James !
Thank you Jack !
I LOVE YOU !

Best

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

If the error occurs during the installation of Windows 2000 Service Pack 1
(SP1), you may ignore it. If the error keeps occuring after that, please
contact the local PSS and provide the KB number 301404 to them. This KB is
not published so that you could not see it. However, your local PSS should
have the permission to open it. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: File Protection error
| Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:35:35 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Thanks James
|
| "sfc /scannow" was the first thing I've tried.
|
| The following KB, which has recently been withdrawn from
| MS site, mentionned the same error message code
| (0x800b0100) but it says "ignore it" !
|
| Windows File Protection Error Messages Generated During
| Windows 2000 ServicePack 1 Installation
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263566
|
| This is what it says:

| The system file c:\winnt\system32\gdi32.dll could not be
| copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is
| 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.]
| This file is necessary to maintain system stability.
| The error messages can be ignored.
|
| CAUSE
|
| During SP1 installation, Event Viewer may log these types
| of error messages when newly installed files are added to
| the dynamic-link library (DLL) cache. The issue
| originates with the retail release of Windows 2000, but
| occurs when you are installing SP1. The WFP logging
| occurs before the completion of the SP1 installation,
| which contains an updated Sfc.dll (System File Checker)
| file to correct these error messages. This file does not
| take effect until you reboot the computer.
|
| End quote
|
| Bob said that there is "catfix" for it and I hope that he
| would give me some more information about it.
|
| Regards
|
| Best

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Thanks for your update.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to post in
our Newsgroup. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: File Protection error
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:50:47 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Thank you Bob !
Thank you James !
Thank you Jack !

I contacted my local Microsoft and I have to tell you that I
struggled to
make the Customer Relations understand that not only Bob, not only
James and
not only Jack who told me that there exists a catfix for my problem,
but all
of them !!! I told that bloke from Customer Relations: "how on
earth can
you can argue with them, don't you know who they are?" He said:
"no". I
said: "they are god of the software and it's a sin to argue with them
!!!"
[...]

rights.