File associations

G

I installed software that requires a .job file extension. I associated extension with the correct filetype. When I double click on file in Explorer the correct program opens. The only problem I have is when viewing in explorer the small icon next to the filename remains the task object icon. Not a big deal but I have used 98 and 2000 with this same software and it would update in explorer to correct icon. Any suggestions

D

dev

/Grg/ said:
I installed software that requires a .job file extension. I associated extension with the correct filetype. When I double click on file in Explorer the correct program opens. The only problem I have is when viewing in explorer the small icon next to the filename remains the task object icon. Not a big deal but I have used 98 and 2000 with this same software and it would update in explorer to correct icon. Any suggestions ?

If a shortcut to the program is right-clicked, and PROPERTIES clicked,
there will be a "change shortcut" button. The program's executable may
contain the desired icon, or perhaps it's in one of its DLL files. BROWSE
to them, to see.

X

xg

If you have restarted your computer after installing the software and the
problem is still there, open Windows Explorer, go to Tools->Folder
Options->File Types Tab. Find and highlight the .JOB line, click Advance
button, then click Change Icon button.

xg

Grg said:
I installed software that requires a .job file extension. I associated
extension with the correct filetype. When I double click on file in Explorer
the correct program opens. The only problem I have is when viewing in
explorer the small icon next to the filename remains the task object icon.
Not a big deal but I have used 98 and 2000 with this same software and it
would update in explorer to correct icon. Any suggestions ?

G

thanks for the replies, I already tried (and retried) both suggestions. It I go into Explorer and under Tools, Folder options, File types, at the bottom of the window I see "Details for .JOB extension". Opens with; has the correct Icon showing, if I go into Change, I see under Reccomended Programs it has the correct Icon showing. The only place it doesn't seem to recognize the program is when just in Explorer.

If I right click on a .job file in Explorer and go to Properties the Opens With shows the correct Icon and correct executable but the File Type remains a task object. I can select Change and that brings me back to Reccomended programs and that is set correctly. Is there anywhere that the File Type has to be setor can be changed. I thought that it would update when I associated a program type to that .JOB extension.

We have a couple new computers with XP on them and it seems to happen on all of them. We also have offsite customers (I work for a CAM software company) with XP that are having the same problems. So it seems It is either something with XP or it is something I am doing wrong on multiple computers (very likely : ).

G

Dev and XG,
Thanks again for the suggestions. I ended up going into Tools, folder options, File types, and deleting the .job register all together. Once I brought it in again as new, everything was fine. It seems it would not lose its task object association unless completly eliminated. Before I did this I even tried registering it as just a word file and that wouldn't eliminate the task object file type either. So the program type did not seem to matter either. Anyway thanks again for your responses.

Ask a Question