FightAIDS@Home on your Smartphone

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
We want you to be among the first to hear about this exciting opportunity to accelerate your contribution. Starting today, you can download the BOINC app for Android to run World Community Grid on your mobile device.

The FightAIDS@Home project is the first to be made available on our new Android app, with more projects to follow suit in the future. And don't worry, it won't kill your battery or use up your data quota: by default, the Android app will run only when your device is plugged in, and will only transmit data when your device is connected to a WiFi network.

So turn your Android device into an AIDS researcher and download the new app today, then encourage your friends and family to do the same.

For more information, read our News & Update article.

Sincerely,

The World Community Grid Team

always download 'aps' for Android from Google Play

:user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Installed last night and already chomping through jobs.

w97j1x.png

Option to crunch on battery

148ni9w.png

Change settings to crunch on battery

339rajd.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's gonna rape your battery if its not on charge!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, I was just thinking that. It may be worth setting the min charge level to ~90% like the screenshot that Evan posted - otherwise it would probably last less than a day.

Very clever how they're getting the client working on all sorts of other devices now :).

muckshifter

Reaction score
I think it's pretty pointless on a smartphone, maybe a tablet or such.

I did try it out, kept suspending waiting for the battery to charge, actually saying it was waiting for the battery to cool down ... came off me phone in one second flat. :blush:

Nice idea, a bit short on deliverance. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The ~90% is the default setting. I played about and dropped it to ~50% and as far as I can see the battery usage is only slightly more than normal.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
C'mon guys get with the programme!

The client only runs when plugged in and charging over night, so its not going to eat your battery whilst your out and about..

The World Community Grid team has worked hard to ensure that volunteers can donate mobile device processing time as easily and unobtrusively as they donate computer processing time. Because mobile devices are designed for portability and extended battery life, the app is designed to minimize the impact that World Community Grid will have. By default, the app will only run calculations when the device is plugged in and charging (for example, overnight) and will only transmit data over WiFi (settings are configurable).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
C'mon guys get with the programme!

The client only runs when plugged in and charging over night, so its not going to eat your battery whilst your out and about..

Did you miss that bit the first time?

Oh the same lines i'd be interested as to how hot your device gets.... My S4 would get pretty toasty if it uses all four cores. :eek:

muckshifter

Reaction score
... waiting for the battery to cool down

Now, I may have misread that, but as my phone only takes an hour or two to charge, I'm not going to contribute very much to the cause.

I'm not going to leave my phone plugged in either. I'm not sure what these batteries are like for that these days.

I was doing my civic duty in making the 'app' know to the forum.

:)

wow, we got a swimming pool out the back yard, only took 3mins to fill. :lol:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Installed it :)

Was going through the Advanced Control and Preferences and it stated app would not run if battery reaches 40 deg C.

I am also wondering if it is a good idea to crunch on the phone with its after market case removed with the back cover in place obviously. It may help in lowering the temp.

Ask a Question