Fax Services Install Routine Fails Following SP2 Installation


G

Guest

Hi all.
We installed SP2 on our Windows XP Pro machine a couple of months ago and
just this month decided to install fax services (it was previously not
installed). Upon using the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog and checking
off only "fax services" to install, I got an error regarding a file that the
wizard could not find in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. It said to select
the location "or insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2" disk. I
figured I might as well slipstream SP2 and make an XP SP2 install disk and
try going that way.
We got the same error this time, but a different file.

"Setup cannot copy the file fxsres.dll.

Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert
'Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' in the drive you specify.

Copy files from:
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386"

I first hit retry without changing the copy from location after verifying
that the file existed there. The dialog immediately returned.
I then changed the location to our slipstreamed install CD (E:\I386). The
file was clearly in that location, as well. I hit retry. The dialog once
again returned.

I couldn't believe it. I tried to go through telling the installer to
continue without copying any of the necessary files, but the install failed.

Then I tried to install again. A slightly different error:

"Some files on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM are needed.

Insert Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into the drive selected below, and
then click OK."

I switched disks and put in the non-slipstreamed install.

The errors began again, but the wizard was now asking for the "Windows XP
Professional CD-ROM". Again, I tried having the wizard skip copying the
files, but it failed again.

Another cycle, the same story. This time, however, after telling the wizard
to skip the file copying, the wizard completed "successfully", creating a
printer in the printer and faxes folder named "fax". Unfortunately, the
printer could not be accessed or deleted, and it does not have the
functionality that it's supposed to. When I go into the Add/Remove Windows
Components dialog, "Fax Services" appears to be uninstalled.

This seems to be a common problem (at least a google of it suggests so), yet
I've not yet found any resolution.

Any help would be appreciated!
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You failed to mention the original source of your installation files. The
Fax installation routine will not be able to keep up with the changes you
have made to that source, and you seem to keep making more all the time.
 
H

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Here's what we know so far:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835132
2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?

And here's some additional info concerning the Microsoft KB article
mentioned in the FAQ:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270202
HP and Compaq Notebook PCs: Unable to Install Windows XP Fax Software

Note that Microsoft does NOT recommend that you use the Esentutl.exe utility
to recover from security database corruption. They have a hotfix available
that may fix the problem.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-P/I -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

However, he already tried the steps the first solution contains, and the
second does not produce the type of behavior he is seeing. I suspect the
multiple changes in source files has made it impossible for the install
routine to complete.
 
G

Guest

Really I haven't changed, deleted, or moved any source files whatsoever.
I have changed the directory, however, that I'm directing Windows to get the
files from. I'm really unsure of what is causing the issue, though, since all
the files definitely exist without me altering any of them or their locations.
So are you saying, then, that changing the directory is causing the issue?

Russ Valentine said:
However, he already tried the steps the first solution contains, and the
second does not produce the type of behavior he is seeing. I suspect the
multiple changes in source files has made it impossible for the install
routine to complete.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Hal Hostetler said:
Here's what we know so far:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835132
2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?

And here's some additional info concerning the Microsoft KB article
mentioned in the FAQ:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270202
HP and Compaq Notebook PCs: Unable to Install Windows XP Fax Software

Note that Microsoft does NOT recommend that you use the Esentutl.exe
utility
to recover from security database corruption. They have a hotfix
available
that may fix the problem.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-P/I -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
 
G

Guest

Thanks. I'll try the steps you've mentioned and get back to you shortly.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

It looks like Russ is right. It no longer even bothers with the "copying
files" step and now skips right to "Configuring Fax Services" even though fax
services does not exist after the install is complete. I'm certain it's
because I told it earlier to continue without each file.
Any idea of how to rectify that in order to try the other steps?
 
G

Guest

Nope... I have it up and running now. For some reason the most recent install
I did worked. Once again it skipped the "copying files" step but all the fax
utilities are correctly installed and "fax" appears correctly in Printers and
Faxes.

Thanks, although I'll sure be scratching my head over this one for a while.
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

But does it work?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Kevin Smith said:
Nope... I have it up and running now. For some reason the most recent
install
I did worked. Once again it skipped the "copying files" step but all the
fax
utilities are correctly installed and "fax" appears correctly in Printers
and
Faxes.

Thanks, although I'll sure be scratching my head over this one for a
while.
 
G

Guest

Oddly, yes. I sent off a test fax and it worked fine.
I don't understand it at all.

I can't even hazard a guess. I've told you everything I know.

Russ Valentine said:
But does it work?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Kevin Smith said:
Nope... I have it up and running now. For some reason the most recent
install
I did worked. Once again it skipped the "copying files" step but all the
fax
utilities are correctly installed and "fax" appears correctly in Printers
and
Faxes.

Thanks, although I'll sure be scratching my head over this one for a
while.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You probably redirected the installation routine enough times that if was
finally able to find all the files it needs. They get scattered about when
you install SP2.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Kevin Smith said:
Oddly, yes. I sent off a test fax and it worked fine.
I don't understand it at all.

I can't even hazard a guess. I've told you everything I know.

Russ Valentine said:
But does it work?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Kevin Smith said:
Nope... I have it up and running now. For some reason the most recent
install
I did worked. Once again it skipped the "copying files" step but all
the
fax
utilities are correctly installed and "fax" appears correctly in
Printers
and
Faxes.

Thanks, although I'll sure be scratching my head over this one for a
while.

:

It looks like Russ is right. It no longer even bothers with the
"copying
files" step and now skips right to "Configuring Fax Services" even
though
fax
services does not exist after the install is complete. I'm certain
it's
because I told it earlier to continue without each file.
Any idea of how to rectify that in order to try the other steps?

:

Thanks. I'll try the steps you've mentioned and get back to you
shortly.

:

Here's what we know so far:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835132
2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation
Files?

And here's some additional info concerning the Microsoft KB
article
mentioned in the FAQ:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270202
HP and Compaq Notebook PCs: Unable to Install Windows XP Fax
Software

Note that Microsoft does NOT recommend that you use the
Esentutl.exe
utility
to recover from security database corruption. They have a hotfix
available
that may fix the problem.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-P/I -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com

message
Hi all.
We installed SP2 on our Windows XP Pro machine a couple of
months
ago and
just this month decided to install fax services (it was
previously
not
installed). Upon using the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog
and
checking
off only "fax services" to install, I got an error regarding a
file
that
the
wizard could not find in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. It
said
to
select
the location "or insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack
2"
disk.
I
figured I might as well slipstream SP2 and make an XP SP2
install
disk and
try going that way.
We got the same error this time, but a different file.

"Setup cannot copy the file fxsres.dll.

Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change
it
and
insert
'Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' in the drive you
specify.

Copy files from:
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386"

I first hit retry without changing the copy from location after
verifying
that the file existed there. The dialog immediately returned.
I then changed the location to our slipstreamed install CD
(E:\I386). The
file was clearly in that location, as well. I hit retry. The
dialog
once
again returned.

I couldn't believe it. I tried to go through telling the
installer
to
continue without copying any of the necessary files, but the
install
failed.

Then I tried to install again. A slightly different error:

"Some files on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM are needed.

Insert Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into the drive selected
below, and
then click OK."

I switched disks and put in the non-slipstreamed install.

The errors began again, but the wizard was now asking for the
"Windows XP
Professional CD-ROM". Again, I tried having the wizard skip
copying
the
files, but it failed again.

Another cycle, the same story. This time, however, after telling
the
wizard
to skip the file copying, the wizard completed "successfully",
creating a
printer in the printer and faxes folder named "fax".
Unfortunately,
the
printer could not be accessed or deleted, and it does not have
the
functionality that it's supposed to. When I go into the
Add/Remove
Windows
Components dialog, "Fax Services" appears to be uninstalled.

This seems to be a common problem (at least a google of it
suggests
so),
yet
I've not yet found any resolution.

Any help would be appreciated!
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top