Fax monitor does not open automatically

Richard H. Walter

I had this posted in general prior to realizing there was a Fax_Print forum.

I was experiencing this problem when the system was set up with XP Home. I
upgraded to XP Pro. I have uninstalled and reinstalled fax services several
times. Per instructions found in Help, I have checked the boxes for Fax
Monitor in Fax Printer->Properties->Tracking to open automatically when
sending and receiving. In spite of all this, Fax Monitor does not open
automatically. Also, notification sounds etc don't seem to work.

Note that all other fax functions, send, receive, Fax Console, etc, seem to
work fine.

Anything I could be doing wrong? Is there some hardware dependency that
causes this? Any registry settings to look at?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dick Walter

Gee, not specifically that I know of, I always do the
automatic updates, however. I'll flip over to Windows
Update and check for it.

Thanks,
Dick Walter
SP1 fixed this problem. Have you applied it?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Richard Walter

Oops! Sorry to go "incognito"
I have now upgraded to SP1 with numerous later patches
and updates. The result is still the same. Also, I've
noted that I get no "ongoing dialogue" in the Fax Monitor
when it is already open, as I do at work. The events
just happen and nothing appears in the Fax Monitor window.

Regards,
Dick Walter

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You need to install Windows XP Service Pack 1. Certain registry keys on
which Fax depends can be wiped out by certain update or repair operations in
XP and causes this behavior. SP1 fixes the problem. Alternatively:

1. Save the attachment to this post (or paste the text between dashed lines
at the bottom of this message into Notepad and save it).

2. Rename it RPCProt.reg

3. Go to Windows Explorer and double-click on RPCProt.reg - this would apply
the key to the registry (assuming that Merge is the default action).

3a. If double clicking the RENAMED file opens Notepad or WordPad, go to
'Start|Run', type REGEDIT, click OK, then go to 'File|Import' and navigate
to the file.

4. Stop and then restart the fax service.

The contents of the attached file:
--------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols]
"ncacn_np"="rpcrt4.dll"
"ncacn_ip_tcp"="rpcrt4.dll"
"ncadg_ip_udp"="rpcrt4.dll"
"ncacn_http"="rpcrt4.dll"
--------------------------------------

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Richard H. Walter

Russ,

Thanks for your help. I have performed the update to SP1 on the machine in
question per your suggestion. I have also installed numerous post SP1
updates. The noted registry entries were in place after the upgrade to XP
Professional.. I will go back to the machine (at home) and verify that
they are still in place after the further updates (primarily security
patches).

If we assume for the moment that they are still there, is there something
else I need to look at?

The printer attached to this machine (the one at work, where the Fax
Services work fine) has a printer that is shared with the network via Unix
Print Services. I don't suppose that would have any influence on the home
network would it?

Thanks,
Dick Walter

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not that we know of so far, but since the problem arose before SP1, there is
nothing to keep it from recurring after SP1. (After all, this is Microsoft
and SP2 can't be far away). I'll be interested in knowing whether reapplying
the reg patch works.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Richard Walter said:
Oops! Sorry to go "incognito"
I have now upgraded to SP1 with numerous later patches
and updates. The result is still the same. Also, I've
noted that I get no "ongoing dialogue" in the Fax Monitor
when it is already open, as I do at work. The events
just happen and nothing appears in the Fax Monitor window.

Regards,
Dick Walter

SP1 fixed this problem. Have you applied it?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Richard H. Walter

Thanks for the upload. It seems to have no effect. I applied it, stopped
and started Fax Services, then shut down the whole system and restarted just
to be sure. Either sending or receiving, it still does not "pop" the
Monitor. Apparently it must have MS stymied as well. The tech initially
sent me a message asking to check the registry entries, saying nothing about
SP1. About the same time I got the first message from you telling me about
SP1. I've now had multiple responses from you and nothing from the tech.
I did manage to reenable the USB 2.0 ports on my own. Sp1 knocked them out!

Thanks very much for the help. If anything else occurs to you, consider me
a test bed!
Regards,
Dick Walter

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I suspect this is a new issue. I'll send it up the ladder and see what turns
up.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

BTW, they'll need to be able to repro the problem to fix it. I assume your
Fax Monitor worked at one point. You'll need to list the changes made before
it stopped working.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Richard H. Walter

Well actually, my Fax Monitor never worked from the day it was installed. I
previously used Symantec Winfax Pro version 10.0. It actually worked fairly
well under XP with one exception. You couldn't enter addresses in its
address book; it would blow you out of the program.

Finally, I looked on the Symantec website and found a note in their
knowledgebase that 10.0 didn't work right and that I need to upgrade to
10.2. Rather that spend the $49 to upgrade, I took the "cheap route" of
uninstalling Symantec and installing Fax Services. I did it at work first,
and it worked great, running hardware made by the same manufacturer as this
machine and almost the identical configuration. So I came home and did it,
and everything works but the Fax Monitor. It has never worked. There's a
lot of software running on this machine, including a scanner, camera
software, Activesync for the PDA, Symantec Internet Security, etc. etc. So
sorting it all out could be a genuine nightmare.

There is a "Martin Wu" in MS Online Support (via email and web) working
(slowly I might add, his last response took 3 days) on this. I tried
several things for him including uninstalling Symantec Internet Security and
Norton Antivirus, and running a selective startup series, none of which
worked because, obviously, Fax Services don't get enabled until you get to
the Services Tab of the Selective Startup anyway. Realizing this, I
enabled fax services and redid the selective startups, only to find that I
got a "No Fax Printer Enabled" message until I got to the Services tab, at
which point it just reverted to doing what it originally did. I couldn't
find any combination of things with Msconfig that resulted in the Fax
Monitor working. (I am, however, the most popular fax recipient at work,
because I test it by sending a fax and seeing if the Fax Monitor opens or
records events.)

I would be happy to provide any information you need, including the msinfo32
file I created for Martin. I believe he is "Level 1" support and it might
take him a while, with having me do lots of general stuff in his flow
diagram, to decide to escalate it. If you have a shorter route, let me
know.

Again, thanks very much for your response and interest!

Regards,
Dick Walter

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Aha. That's a different animal entirely.
When you go to Tools > Fax Printer Status in Fax Console, what do you see?
Is your modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
Does your faxsetup.log show any errors?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

.

Joe G

I have exactly the same problem as Richard describes.

I am using XP Home. Initially fax worked fine and Fax Monitor popped on
sending faxes.Then I had to do a repair of XP and I think this is when it
stopped working.

The fax would send OK by Fax Console did not show any sent or received faxes
Fax Monitor did not work. Fax Status showed the fax offline.

Reading some of the post in this group, I downloaded Faxfix.reg which
corrected the problem with Fax Console. But I still have the same problem
with Fax Monitor as Richard describes.

I have not applied SP1 and your RPCProt.reg did not change anything.
Any more ideas please ?

Joe

Richard H. Walter

(Oooops, the message got too large, had to pare it back to just current
content.)
1. Faxprinter Status: Local, Online

2. Here's the driver signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility
Publisher, it's a Conexant MDP3880-W(U) PCI. I searched the Microsoft
Website for the HCL and got led around in circles to the Windows Catalog,
which seems to have no information other than things to buy. Even the
Knowledgebase purports to have a link to the HCL, which takes you to
Windows Catalog, and no specific XP compatibility list. There seems to be
one for ME and 2000 but not XP. There are entries in there from 2001, but I
have no idea how they got there.

3. Other than this contradiction in terms-> (ERROR_SUCCESS)
....the faxsetup.log shows nothing. There's a lot of that phrase in there,
plus a ton on stuff in curly braces, none of which seems to catastrophic. I
can upload it if you want, but it seems pretty benign. It appears to
chronicle my struggle fairly well, with multiple reinstallations.

Does this lead anywhere?
Regards,
Dick Walter

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not really, only that we're not dealing with a known issue that has been
reproduced so far. Win XP Fax has never been very tolerant of the presence
of other fax software.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Richard H. Walter said:
[...]

Richard H. Walter

Well, after much playing around I have determined the following: Install
Norton Internet Security 2003 or 2004 and Fax Monitor stops working.
Uninstall it and Fax Monitor starts working.

My illustrious Microsoft Support Professional has cleverly punted to
Symantec for a resolution. Symantec cleverly suggests that I contact
Microsoft for a solution.

Meanwhile, I have purchased a fax machine for incoming faxes, and fire out
my faxes from the PC blindly.

The really important thing is not that either product work properly, the
really important thing is that everybody has managed to close their support
cases.

According to Symantec Microsoft needs to advise me on how to get Fax Monitor
to start "after Windows starts." According to them it is a timing issue.
Any ideas?

Regards,
Dick Walter