Fax Install Fails on XP SP2

Tim O'Connor

Hi there,

just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
him, some I had to skip.

Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:

[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
rc = 0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
(fax)

If you need the complete log, pls PM me.

Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
to fax is gone again...
How do I fix that?

Regards,
Tim

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
information.

Tim O'Connor

Russ said:
Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
information.

Hi Russ,

Just sent out the Log via PM.

Steps to reproduce: (XP SP2, German)
1. Open Printers and Fax panel, click install Fax.
2. Wizard complains about missing files (default location is
windows\servicepackfiles).
3. I point the find file dialog to my windows cd (e:\i386)
4. Tells me: Exisiting file is newer than CD version. I click keep
current version
Wizard ends.
Repeat steps 1-4 for ~ 15 fax related dlls
Files I couldnt locate on cd or hd, i skipped.

5. Wizard runs to 100%, ends
6. Printer panel shows: install local fax printer. Clicking doesnt do
anything

When I go over Control Panel -> Software -> Windows Components, same
thing, Wizard runs to 100%, in the background a fax icon appears and
disappears in the printer panel.

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Wait a minute. Your installation files won't be on the CD if you've applied
a Service Pack.
If you have applied a service pack, these files may have been moved to a
different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
routine to that folder.

Tim O'Connor

Russ said:
Wait a minute. Your installation files won't be on the CD if you've applied
a Service Pack.
If you have applied a service pack, these files may have been moved to a
different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
routine to that folder.

setup tried there first (default path in find file dialog) but didnt
accept the files in that folder.

Anyway, how do I clean all this mess out and start over?

Thx,
Tim

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What was the error message?
Have you applied more than one Service Pack?
If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?

Tim O'Connor

Russ said:
What was the error message?

No error message - the find file dialog had the path to the
ServicePackFiles already filled in, but clicking OK didnt do anything.
Have you applied more than one Service Pack?
No

If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?

windows\system32\fxsapi.dll - 5.2.2600.2180 - (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\fxsapi.dll - 5.2.2600.2180 -
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

fxcfgwz.dll - not found.

Thx,
ToC

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Odd.
I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel it.

Ron Barnett

'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook said:
']Odd.
I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unrave
it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Tim O'Connor" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
Tim O'Connor wrote:
--
If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-

fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-

PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-

Hi,
If I can add some detail.
I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed

John Louis

I have encountered exactly the same problem two days ago and reported it to
Microsoft Product Support Services. Awaiting reply which I will post here.

John

Tim O'Connor wrote:
--
If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-

fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-

PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-

Hi,
If I can add some detail.
I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed

I've experienced the same behaviour you all have described while i was trying
to install/enable the fax service. I have windows xp pro with SP2
pre-installed. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

--

Tim O'Connor said:
[...]

Same issues here and unresolved even afgter 4+ hours with hp support!! Have
new hp Pavilion dv1040us laptop with xp home sp2 preinstalled. !!!! Help!

Tim O'Connor wrote:
--
If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-

fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-

PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-

Hi,
If I can add some detail.
I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed

Not that this will be any consolation, but I have the same problem. Have been
corresponding with tech support for a week with no resolution.

Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2? I know the option exists in Add/Remove
Programs, but who knows what this might leave behind.

John Louis

Have been battling with this problem for some time now and have also been
corresponding with Microsoft Tech Support who does not have a ready answer.

Yesterday I uninstalled SP2 in Safe Mode and did a REPAIR installation of
Windows XP SP1, BUT IT DID NOT CURE THE FAX PROBLEM !!!

Have not yet installed SP2 again.

Will keep you posted.

John

Tim O'Connor said:
[...]

I installed the SP2 yesterday and Windows fax failed to work afterwards.
Can't find Microsoft Fax Driver. I too uninstalled SP2 last night but still
no luck. Looks like SP2 relocates the driver and the system can't find it.

KC

Tim O'Connor said:
[...]

I have exactly the same problem with my hp dv1049cl (new) with sp2. If I try
to install fax services from the "add windows components" applet, the fax
icon appears during the install process, then disappears. Afterwards, the
checkmark that I put in the install components menu to install fax services
has been cleared, and all that seems to be left behind is the log messages
you detailed. The "set up faxing" task in the printers and faxes window
fails too. It asks for the dl_ files but despite the fact that I point to
them in I386 where they do exist, the install routine can't open them. Would
love to see a fix for this.