FAO Poprivet, or is it Uncle Grumpy?

Alan

"Poprivet`" <[email protected] wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Hi,
Hewlet Packard machine running XP, just over a year old. When
connecting any kind of external drive via USB2, the 'New Hardware'
wizard starts up and after a few moments the message 'Problem with
this hardware' etc appears followed by 'This hardware may not work
correctly' and indeed it does not work.
Two keyring type storage devices have been tried and also two
external hard drives. All of these work on other machines, in fact on
more than one machine so I know there's no problem with them. On
these other machines the 'New Hardware' wizard doesn't start up, they
just work immediately, the icon appears in 'My Computer' and off you
go. The drive(s) do show up on 'My Computer' as Drive F, but if I click
this icon I get prompted to insert a disk into the drive, obviously I
can't insert a disk into a 750Gig external hard drive.
Apart from this, the machine works perfectly,
Can anyone please advise? I'm no expert on these matters!
TIA,
Alan.

You need to contact the drive Mfr. And include some system info when you
do:

How to Post a newsgroup
question effectively:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q555375

"Alan" <[email protected] wrote in message
You mean contact the manufactures of two flash drives (one Scandisk, the
other one Belkin) and two external hard drives (both different
manufacturers)?
Do you think that four different drives all have the same fault? Why would
they all work perfectly on several other machines?
Thanks for the advice on how to post to newsgroups, I've only ever posted
to this and Excel groups about two thousand times so I'm probably a bit
new to it.
Regards,
Alan.

I've got this sorted now, no thanks to you.
Why do you bother replying to queries that you obviously don't understand
with inane advice such as you posted? It doesn't help me, it just wastes my
time. It doesn't help you either, it just gives you an excuse to attempt to
look clever like some kind of guru, the same as a lot of your replies I've
seen in this group..
Do you realise how ridiculous the 'expert help' you gave me is? Four
different drives don't work on one machine, but all four work on others?
Contact the manufacturer's? What would you think would be the first thing
they would ask me? Think carefully now!
You're clever little MS links to people as to how to post to newsgroups are
both patronising and insulting. Who the hell do you think you are?
If you have something helpful to say, then say it. If not, keep your mouth
shut.
Regards,
Alan.

Poprivet`

I'm not sure what you did here, but this post is a new thread while it
appears to be parts of another thread, and something I was originally
concerned with but there is nothing there that I ever said. There are
no quotes, nothing to indicate chronology of responses, etc., so I'm
sure you'll understand why I hesitate to respond to whatever part of
this you are addressing to me.
Do not start new threads when you are responding to someone; use
Reply instead. You probably use a 'net access for groups so whatever
you're using, you need to read closer how to use it. Or, use OE or a
regular newsreader; they make it a lot easier.

Pop`

Alan

'but there is nothing there that I ever said.'

Yes there is, this was the inane reply you posted to my query on the 11th of
this month at 17:31. My post was titled 'External Drives', sent on the 10th
of this month at 23:14, have a look at it, it's still there.
I know all about using existing threads. I started a new one to be sure you
would see it. How you have the nerve to post a link to me on 'How to Post a
newsgroup question effectively' after that idiotic reply I really don't
know.

[...]

Uncle Grumpy

I know all about using existing threads. I started a new one to be sure you
would see it.

Were you jacking off at the thought when you posted it?

My guess is that you were.

Alan

Cretin