Alternative o.s.es

A

Andy

I have been dual booting to both Windows and a Linux version.

Based on my experience and comments by others doing the same, I have found:

Some Linux versions will mount on a pendrive or hard drive fairly easily.

I have a hp laptop and all the hardware is working with Linux with the exception of a fairly new printer and a 4 yr. old internal modem.

I found a USB for a pretty decent price that works with both operating systems and it has some other features that my internal modem did not have.

Their programmers are working hard at getting more GUI type programs.

Many tasks still have to be done at their Konsole or Windows equivalent of the command prompt.

If one of their goals is to increase market share, I think that putting effort into getting more hardware to work and increase the GUI apps.

I also realize that the hardware manufacturers play a part too.

The modem I bought has on the box "Compatibility with Windows and Linux.

I found two or 3 modem manufactures that are Linux compatible, so they are getting all the Linux owner's business.

This is not typical, but my download speeds on a wireless network were often 7 times that of Windows. (same time of day etc.)

Just chilling,
Andy

A

Andy

Just out of curiosity, could you give some examples?

Here are some.

I am still trying to get my Epson printer working.

I followed advice given at a OpenSuse forum, but nothing has worked.

That advice required going to the command line a lot.

They have two konsoles, one for a general user and a SuperUser console that is good for advanced users and admins.

My internal modem is not supported by Linux.

I found an external USB modem that is both Windows and Linux capable
for $26. inc. tax.

There are tons of versions and I consider Puppy Linux as the best at installing on pen drives and it's small too.

I found it to be quite fast as it stores it's kernel in RAM.

It also supports more older hardware.

Linux has a lot of ways of installing programs and it can get confusing.

My version does not have error logs etc. as extensive as Windows, so tracking down problems takes longer.

I like that their 64 bit versions use all of my 4 Gb of RAM.

Their file search program does not yet have a buffer of previous run commands.

I have found that 3rd party disk defraggers don't play well with non Fat32 and NTFS partitions.

I just stopped running them and have not noticed any slow down.

And some of the disk image programs can image pretty much every kind of partition.

I store mine on an external hard disk.

Take care.

Ask a Question