Fallout 3 problem

Reaction score
Hiya folks

Decided to intall FO3 again yeasterday. Been having nothign but problems with it

Every few seconds it skips or freezes for no reason

I have done a search and read about problems with FFdshow sound settings also turned down all AA, Draw rates and resolution. No Vsync is on in fact setting are as low as I can get them. Its still freezes anywhere from 20seconds to 2mins at random points whilst playing (well attempting too) for aslong as 2 or 3mins at a time

Its completely and utterly puzzled me. I cant try the new nvidia driver because they crash my system so i'm at a loss.

Any ideas peeps?

thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perhaps try some of the older nVidia drivers, just to see if they are causing the problem. Freezing for 2 mins doesn't sound right at all!

Reaction score
No guys its only this one :( It is completely doin my head in. Making it impossible to play

Yeah will try older drivers not even sure what i have on here now. I do know as i mentioned before the 181.20/21 do not work on my system, just crash it

Reaction score
OK just again tried the 181.20 drivers again and they have worked, Hmmmm

I re-downloaded them

Mad thing is a good friend of mine was with me when I tried (Computer tech)
and the worked fine. Typical aint it! I said to him "there you go drivers calling me a liar" he just laughed. "Sods law" he said...

Amyway freezing and what not has stopped and it all runs a lot smoother now

Cheers anyway peeps :D

Reaction score
i patched it the other day i think mate. i remember having to put age check thingy in anyway

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
i patched it the other day i think mate. i remember having to put age check thingy in anyway
Well that was released yesterday, so maybe your still on the old one? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tonight I thought I'd play Fallout 3, haven't really played it yet, just installed it and went through the opening scenes.

I'd already patched the game with patch 10015 and it worked ok but after reading this thread I patched to latest version, 11035.

And blow me, after patching it wouldn't start, it hung and the sound just oscillated, in fact it hung my whole computer :confused:

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, didn't apply any patches and the game is working just fine, played about 20 minutes worth just to make sure.

I did suspect video drivers, had Nvidia V180.84 installed (Vista) and upgraded to V 181.20, latest aproved drivers. Didn't make a blind bit of difference.

So, the latest Fallout 3 patch seems to have a negative effect here.

It's late now, I worked today, I'm tired, but I'll come back to this.

Will probably play the game unpatched for now, unless I come across probs.

Reaction score
Hmmmm I meant to mention actually that I played it the day after (15th) my last post on the 14th and its started to freeze again

How annoying!!

Reaction score
I am now completely and utterly hacked off with this damn game. Constantly freezing, crashing, stuttering.

Its completely rendering my pc useless at times to the point I have to turn power off to access my desktop again

I have patched it, uninstalled FFDshow, reduced all gfx render setting to lowest on all including resolution

Tried d3d overrider and gone back to the standard gfx drivers for my card. Still the same problems over and over and over.

Arrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW, I just tried to play it again, get as far as 'Continue' and it freezes.

It's unpatched but was even worse when I patched it.

I'm wondering how I get my money back, I think I paid twenty quid for it from Play.com

Bloody annoying :mad:

I'm using the system in my sig, latest video drivers, WL2 installed - this game should never have been released, the Bethesda forums are full of similar problems.

Reaction score
Yep very true. Thing is they release patchs and the patches are not even rectifing the problems they know about.

They seem to be ignoring them

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I applied the first patch, V.10015, and the game worked. I played until I exited Vault 101 then shut the computer down and restarted it.

Then I got the same fault again, it freezes my computer when I press 'Continue'.

Which is a damn shame cos I was enjoying this game and it looks as if it's going to get better.

I'm going to try it on my XP/AMD machine and if it doesn't work on that, I'll know it's definitely faulty software rather than my hardware and/or Vista.

I doubt if I'll get a refund on the game, I've had it at least a month, I can only hope a decent patch is issued.

Poor state of affairs really.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, this is odd.

Fallout 3 appears to be working well, unpatched, on my other machine.

Brief specs:

Asus M2N sli motherboard
AMD XP6400 Dual Core 'Black Edition' 3.2Ghz CPU
2Gb Corsair CL5 memory.
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb Video card
Windows XP SP3 all updates applied.

It's working quite ok. Loads a helluva lot quicker than in Intel/Vista machine, actually.

I transferred the saved games from Vista machine to XP machine and they're opening fine. The game works, no issues at all. It looks good, settings on high.

Also, whenever I clicked on 'Windows Live' on Vista install, it hung the machine. In my XP/AMD machine, a window opens, as it should.

My guess is that this game was designed to run in XP and then Vista came along and Bethesda have made compromises. Compromises that aren't working.

Has anybody else here got this game working fine in Vista?

If so, let us know and post your machine specs.

Reaction score
I think it may well be the fact that Vista and indeed my machine is XP x64

It ran perfectly fine on my x32 installation of XP

I think Bethesda need a proper kick in the a*se

Reaction score
Well I have spent the past 3 - 4 hours on and off trying to make it run stable.

I have changed drivers, fitted and extra GFX card, even run it on setting so low it looked like i was on a ZX Spectrum.

Ive had enough. It renders my pc completely Useless and i'm completely sick to death of having to switch it off at wall because I cant even TAB out.

I really liked this game but it pointless and it's pis*ed me off now so I have uninstalled it

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FYI guys talked to a friend today who says he's really enjoying playing this game, I told him of your woes with it on PC and then he told me he was playing it on his XBox360...So if you still wanna play it without all the bugs and patches you know the way to go, I know you don't own one Flopp's but Triplexdread might..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
FYI guys talked to a friend today who says he's really enjoying playing this game, I told him of your woes with it on PC and then he told me he was playing it on his XBox360...So if you still wanna play it without all the bugs and patches you know the way to go, I know you don't own one Flopp's but Triplexdread might..

Thanks for that but as I pointed out in post # 16 the game's working fine on my XP machine. So, not ideal but at least I can play it and it's not a complete waste of money :)

I just remembered where I bought it as well, twas from a GAME shop with a free metal figuirine for twenty quid.

And yes, the game's looking good so far, think I might enjoy this one.

Ask a Question