Windows XP Failed XP OS Need to recover files

Reaction score
My XP home system is not working. Bad Hal.dll error at one point. The HP Paviliaon Recover CD does not work.

I have booted from CD using Kopplix Linux and can see all my data and actually open up and see powerpoints, JPG's and Word docs.

I have a second drive attached and would like to transfer files to it some how. Linux says I can't do it.

I have tried to play with permissions.

I tried hooking up main drive to another XP machine (as slave) but there were all kinds of errors during boot up and I could not see the data.

Any Suggestions?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
found this http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

You will need to make the drive or partition writable to be able to copy files to it. Right click on the drive or partition on the desktop. This will bring up a little menu. Select the last item in the menu, "Properties". This will open a window with four tabs. Select the third tab, "Device". There is a checkbox labeled "Read only". Make sure it is unchecked, and click on Ok

Reaction score
doesn't work

I have tried that. Says I have read write permission. When I drag file to drive it says that I can't.

Nice quote about the pool..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... note the spelling of Knoppix. ;-)

With Knoppix, you can click the K menu, navigate to the KNOPPIX sub-menu and open a root shell (there is no password on Knoppix root). From there, you could manually copy your files and you shouldn't have any further issues with permissions.

What does Knoppix say exactly?

Hope that helps. ;)

Reaction score
message from Linux

Says

"Could not right to /mnt/hda5/picture.jpg"

Do you have a good resource to tell me how to move around in the directory structure within the shell...

and what comands I use to copy?

like get to the hard drive I want

thanks

Ask a Question