WordPad Not Responding after pasting large file

Reaction score
As I was working on a WordPad doc, I mistakenly pasted a large file of pictures, meaning to paste just one picture. This was an hour ago and ever since I am unable to work on the doc since WordPad is "not responding." I fear losing the doc. How do I recover the original doc before I made the foolish mistake of pasting an oversized file?
Help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which version of Windows are you using?

If you browse to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WordPad" you may find some .tmp files saved there, which are temporary saves. If you can access that directory (I dont have it in Windows 10), then you may be able to copy the most recent .tmp file to a .rtf file and open it that way.

Otherwise... you may just need to wait it out and hope that Wordpad doesn't crash. How large were these photos, as over an hour is a very long time. Wordpad doesn't handle large amounts of data well and I've found it generally crashes when it comes to large amounts of data, unfortunately.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I've managed to crash all the Microsoft apps over the years. Guess there is no way to make a bug free app. I've never been able to squash all the bugs cause sometimes users do unexpected things.

Ask a Question