external HDD corrupted and unreadable

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using an external hard drive Samsung... 120GB. i was working with it at my laptop Dell Latitude D820. Suddenly the red light start blinking and I was obliged to shut down the computer. I restart the computer and try to use the hard disk. I got an error message: " the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I have a lot of information and materials at this hard drive. is there any possibility to recover the documents?

Manjola

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

You could try using Recuva to recover your data...

Link

http://www.recuva.com/

Or if you have a linux machin to hand or a linux live disk, you could use Linux to read the drive..

Reaction score
I download the latest version of recuva, but it doesn't functioned. I have not a Linux. One of my colleagues has. is possible to use it? How it can be recover? I use windows XP Professional

Reaction score
manjola said:
I download the latest version of recuva, but it doesn't functioned. I have not a Linux. One of my colleagues has. is possible to use it? How it can be recover? I use windows XP Professional

Well hoping that whatever is on the HDD isn't badly corrupted a linux machine should be able to read the files....

Is it the Recuva program itself that isn't working or is it just not finding any Data...?

Reaction score
it is Recuva v1.25 409. it seems that it can not find the MTF or MFT files. Then at advance option it is stacked at the first stage of scan ( current progress 0%). is there any other program can be downoladed as full version and not as trial?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://kanotix.com/ The THORHAMMER 2007 version of this Live CD will allow you to access and play around with Windows files. It is easy to use for your purposes.

Any Linux Live CD with the " NTFS-3g " module included will do the same job. NTFS-3g is the module that allows you to play with windows files, cut ,copy, paste, move , delete, insert etc etc .

:thumb:

Handy Tip ----- did you know that you can run a Linux Live CD on a pc that does not have a hdd installed.

:D
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

Ask a Question