External hard drive problem

ccs

Reaction score
I was moving some files from my original hard drive to my external hard drive and there was an error and couldn't finish. Now I can't access any of the files on my external hard drive and when I run chkdsk it gets an unspecified error in stage 2.
I'm new at this so I don't know what info anyone may need to help. I have windows XP home edition. External hard drive is a 160 GB seagate. I appreciate any help. Thank you.:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try runing ... chkdsk /r /p

OR ... chkdsk /f

Stage two is checking 'indexes' ... I think. :)

ccs

Reaction score
How do I run it for my external drive? I only know how to run it for the original drive. Thanks.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ccs said:
How do I run it for my external drive? I only know how to run it for the original drive. Thanks.
allocate the correct drive letter ...

chkdsk E: /r /p

... replace E: with the drive you wish to check. ;)

ccs

Reaction score
Actually I think I'm the problem. LOL I remembered something that happened right before it quit. I got the message "This drive is not formatted. Do you wish to format it now?" The first couple of times I clicked no because It had worked fine before. The next time I clicked yes but then clicked cancel. I was getting in over my head. Does this help?

muckshifter

Reaction score
ccs said:
Actually I think I'm the problem. LOL I remembered something that happened right before it quit. I got the message "This drive is not formatted. Do you wish to format it now?" The first couple of times I clicked no because It had worked fine before. The next time I clicked yes but then clicked cancel. I was getting in over my head. Does this help?
laughingsmiley.gif

Yep ... means the drive & you cocked up ... go get that UBCD and test your drive out ... the drive may have died, or was dieing, but once you start a Format, you don't want to stop. ;)

Ask a Question