Exploring HDD

When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
explorer.
When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
How can i change i change it back to Open...

Regards
Terence

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Terence,

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders / drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

Thanks Ramesh

I can't solve the problem cos i kept changing value @ Directory instead of
Drive.

Regards
Terence

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

mtzo81 said:
When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
explorer.
When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
How can i change i change it back to Open...

Regards
Terence

Is it possible to add these action (Print Directory/Command Prompt Here) when
i right-click ANYWHERE in the folder?

mtzo81 said:
When i click the HDD(C: ,D:) icon, it opens the search window instead of
explorer.
When i right click on the HDD, Search... appears as the default action.
How can i change i change it back to Open...

Regards
Terence

Ramesh, MS-MVP

right-click ANYWHERE in the folder

I don't think that's possible.. The right-click actions you add are
relative. Eg. When you right-click a blank area in an open folder,
context-menu loads from a different area.

Adding a right-click action for folder works only when you right-click on a
folder.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Ramesh said:
[...]

David Candy

Right Click the System Menu or the Folder Icon in Web View
Pops up the context menu for the container

:

[...]

And extended verbs aren't available here either. I now have to see all commands all the time.

mtzo81 said:
[...]

Dear Ramesh,

Your solution works for me. However, it also changed the action a little
bit. Now all my folders open in a new windows, inspite of the "open in the
same window" option checked.

Dinesh Karia

mtzo81 said:
[...]

In another group, Dinesh has indicated that the problem is resolved.

BTW, here is the solution:

- - -
Try the .REG fix here. It should fix both the problems.

Open each folder in the same window:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/samewindow.htm

- - -

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Dear Ramesh,

Your solution works for me. However, it also changed the action a little
bit. Now all my folders open in a new windows, inspite of the "open in the
same window" option checked.

Dinesh Karia

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dinesh,

The forum from where you posted your question, is simply a gateway to
Microsoft Community Newsgroup server (in addition, there are some Ads placed
by that Webmaster). Those posts are stored in MS News server, and they
appear here. IMO, the best way to access the newsgroup is using a mail
client like Outlook Express. Here you go for the instructions

http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Dear Ramesh,

Your solution works for me. However, it also changed the action a
little
bit. Now all my folders open in a new windows, inspite of the "open in
the
same window" option checked.

Dinesh Karia

:
right-click ANYWHERE in the folder
I don't think that's possible.. The right-click actions you add are
relative. Eg. When you right-click a blank area in an open folder,
context-menu loads from a different area.

Adding a right-click action for folder works only when you right-click
on a
folder.

Dear Ramesh,

How is my message posted here. If I am not mistaken, I posted this
message in one of the microsoft's discussion group sites.

Dinesh