Explorer.exe crashes due to sytray-problems?

bernd

Hi netties,

Running Win-XP Home Ed. (SP 2) I encountered the following problem:
after start up of several background processes (indicated by the icons
in the systray) explorer.exe crashes, leaving the screen blank, i.e.,
no desktop icons appear, the task bar vanishes and there is no context
menu.

After "removing" a few applications from the systray (means:
suppressing their automatic start) the system boots correctly, i.e.
explorer.exe continues to work after startup, desktop icons appear and
task bar is still available.

Has somebody encountered this problem as well and knows the reason for
it? I would not expect explorer.exe crashing only because of a few
background processes "managed" by the systray (there might be 6 - 10
program icons in the tray when explorer crashes).

Hints are welcome ;-)

Cheers

Bernd

pcbutts1

You found the problem contact the manufacture of what ever program put the
icon in the systray. Put them back one by one until you find the problem
application.