Exchange Email

Reaction score
I changed my email package from 1&1 instant mail (POP3/SMTP) to Microsoft Exchange Server a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately the price is £5.99 per month (as opposed to the previous 69p)

But I did it because of my new phone - the HTC Touch HD - it makes things so much easier if the emails on my Phone, Laptop, PC and Webmail are COMPLETELY in sync, and the reminders on my phone calendar transferred out to all of the other systems too.

I was VERY impressed by how well it works - if I read an email on my phone, it shows as read in Outlook on my PC within seconds. Emails come through instantly and it seems to be so much more reliable. My phone had real problems sending emails on POP3 and SMTP.

I'm glad I made the change - anyone else using Exchange rather than POP3?

Edit: I also forgot to say, that the rules work on the phone too - so when an email from for example "Dad" comes through, it goes straight to my "Dad" folder on my phone, wheras there was no functionality to do this before on Pop using outlook mobile.

Reaction score
Yup.... currently using Exchange Server 2K3, behind a WatchGuard Hardware Firewall.
Using Direct Push to 3 HTCs and 7 Nokia E71s.

However if your network provider is Vodafone there will be issues generated as their packet filters don't allow heartbeat intervals over a few mins, which means that your data charges will be fairly high. If you use Vodafone I suggest you set your phone to pull email every 15mins instead.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be charged Chris, but you can always log in online to doube check your current usage :)

I've never used Exchange before, but it sounds like something that would be very handy indeed - as I check my e-mails on 3 different things (phone/PC/laptop) as you do, and suffer from the same problem.

Will have to look in to this :D

Reaction score
I would seriously reccomend it Ian if your phone has exchange server support!

It's £5.99 p/m with 1&1 as thats where my domain is registered, but perhaps it may be cheaper elsewhere for you.

Best thing i've done in a long time.

Clicky http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=6648369

Reaction score
Who do you have yours through Mike?

I find 1&1's mail servers to be awfully slow for SMTP - thankfully exchange is much better.

Reaction score
Whats the Touch Pro like? Any good? My Mrs watched the video for the Touch Pro 2 the other day, and she's decided she wants one!

Do you read xda-developers forums? I've replaced the ROM on my phone with what they call a "Cooked" ROM based on a newer HTC phone - it's superb, you can improve your phone ten fold by doing stuff like that!

Ask a Question