Excel Excel: locking refererence cells

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Excel SS that I would like to be able to lock the reference cell in the formulas. The last page of my workbook is the grand total column. I want the formulas to ALWAYS reference the same cell, regardless of how many columns I add to the input pages. I want my formula to be =(NX!$B$31+JW!$B26+JH!$B$27+CSNW!$B$12) always. Then when I insert another column to the page NX, another "B," I do not want the cell references in the formula to change to C. But alas, they do. As you see I have tried the $ to lock but it simply doesn't work and I think it may have something to do with the fact that I am referencing other pages. ?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
This is similar to a post the other day. You'll want to use an INDIRECT formula.
=INDIRECT("NX!B31")+INDIRECT("JW!B26")+INDIRECT("JH!B27")+INDIRECT("CSNW!B12)

You won't need the dollar signs because the references are text and not changed to a cell reference until the INDIRECT formula is calculated. Good luck!

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you so much! What a relief to finally get this figured out!

~Libby

Ask a Question