excel crash

M

mark french

running windows 98se and office 2000. recently downloaded
all critical updates from microsoft and since then every
time try to open excel spreadsheet computer freezes with
message "windows a fatal exception oe has occurred at
017f:bff9dfff" i've tried removing office and reloading
but this has not solved problem. anyone any suggestions?

J

Julie

I got the same error. I also am running windows 98se and
office 2000. Sometimes mine also says that I don't have
enough memory to run Excel. Have you found a fix for this?

Reaction score
Excel crash happened to me, too

This same Excel crash - identical error message - has been happening to me, too, so I Googled the error message and this message board was the ONLY result I found. I didn't find any results from the Microsoft knowledge base, as I had hoped. Has anyone found a fix for it yet or have any idea why it happens? I repaired Office from the CD, ran Scandisk, tried to restore the registry to an earlier version (the restore failed), etc., and nothing has worked for me yet. HELP!!

Reaction score
I have learned a little since yesterday. The problem can probably be fixed by restoring the registry to an earlier version when the computer worked properly. I wasn't able to do it because I don't have any registry backups that are old enough, and when I tried to restore it to the earliest one I had, the restore failed. But for anyone else who encounters the problem and who catches it while there are still good versions of the registry to be used by typing scanreg /restore in dos (this is how it's done in Win 98SE - different with other OS), I believe this will work.

Reaction score
Now I have learned more, and in fact have found the solution. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280504/en-us and found that Excel does, indeed, run in Safe Mode. Now I have to find out which problem it is bypassing in safe mode, but it looks as if I will be able to do it by following the instructions in the article - it will just take time and patience. For anyone else who experiences this same problem, the solution can be found in the above article in Microsoft Knowledge Base!

Note - the problem does not seem to be in the registry after all, though I am not yet sure of that.

Ask a Question