Excel Excel - cell format switches to custom when switching language

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Greetings to all!

I currently have a bug on Excel 2000 (SP3), running on Win. XP SP2. (both are french versions)

Here goes:

I creat a new excel file using English Canada as regional settings. I input some numbers and change the cell format to Number, 2 decimals and with the thousands separator activated and the parentheses (no colour) for negative numbers.

After I switch my regional settings to French Canada, the format of the cell is now custom: "# ##0,00\ _$_);(# ##0,00\ _$)". Not only has the format changed, the width of the cell is now larger than before, and I'm stuck with some ######### in all cells that had the specified number format in english.

The thing is, if I use 0, 1, or 3 decimals (instead of 2), there is no bug... And when I switch back to English Canada, the format for the 2 decimal cells is restored and the display is ok.

Why, oh why? I couldnt find anything on the web, and thought maybe someone here had some ideas...

BTW - When I open the same file on Excel 2003 (SP2) I get the same result...

thank you for any help you might bring...

Louis

Ask a Question