Excel Excel additional spaces problem

Reaction score
Hey!

I have gone through some of the threads on this forum already; they didn't really help. My problem is slightly different

I have just converted a file from word to excel and it has all kinds of data...text and numbers mainly.

I am fine with the formatting though it is still requiring some manual tweaking, the problem is mainly with the text

The text has inconsistent spaces in it...for instance, sentence would appear something like this in the converted excel file:

"I have gone throu gh som e of the th reads o n this forum already ; they didn't real ly help. My proble m is s lightly differ ent"

I can't use substitute formula in this situation, and TRIM is not working either...is there a way to fix this anyway quickly? I really dont want to manually fix the whole file! =(

Reaction score
hey
if you want to remove all spaces then select the cells you want to remove spaces from
then click Ctrl+F
then choose replace tab
insert one single space into Find What
and clear the text box of Replace With

and thats it
the result will look like
"Ihavegonethroughsomeofthethreadsonthisforumalready;theydidn'treallyhelp.Myproblemisslightlydifferent"
but if you want to remove spaces in words not between then its logical
and there's no way as far as i know that can do it

you should search in new way of pasting them with reserving the format

Reaction score
I agree with Fiona, there isn't a way, that I can think of, that would allow you to only remove some of the spaces that way. Excel has no way of differentiating beginnings and ends of words as it's not really made for text. Your best bet, again as Fiona said, might be pasting in a different way. Maybe try to copy and paste plain text?

Reaction score
I've tried to copy text from microsoft word 2010 to microsoft excel 2010 and it worked perfectly with the paste option (Keep Source Formatting)
if alvi could tell what versions he's using

FLONA 2012 :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question