Excel Excel 97 Crashes when launched

Reaction score
I just bought a new computer with XP Home SP2. I have 1gig of RAM and an a 160gig harddrive. After loading Office 97, the Word works fine, but Excel crashes after launching and Access will not even open. Any clues?
Mark in Oklahoma

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The PC didn't come with MS Works pre-installed by any chance did it? - as this needs to be completely removed prior to installing Office.

If not, it could be a corrupted install - uninstall and try again.

Oh - and make sure you visit the Office Update site and download all the servicepacks and security updates :thumb:

Reaction score
No, it did not come with MS Works. The trouble is that MS does not support Office97 any longer. I have even tried to use the SR-1 and SR-2 Patch after installation. A secondary problem is that although the SR-1 patch says it installed successfully, the SR-2 patch (upon attempting to install it) said that I do not have the SR-1 patch installed. Very confusing indeed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling office, then re-installing it like Adywebb says - it might just do the trick?

Reaction score
Excel 97 Crashes

Ian Cunningham said:
Have you tried uninstalling office, then re-installing it like Adywebb says - it might just do the trick?

Yes, Ian, I have tried that several times.

Ask a Question