Excel Excel 2007 : Unwanted Add-In : How can I get rid of it ?

Reaction score
I was using macros in Excel '97 and have copied a spreadsheet into Excel 2007. I now have an Add-In containing some of the original command buttons. These are no longer wanted, because I have added a new set of commands to the QAT. Every time I create a new spreadsheet this Add-In is included, and I would like to get rid of it - and to prevent it happening again. What is probably worse is that the buttons that I've added to the QAT also appear in every spreadsheet. In all cases they seem to be appearing in every open spreadsheet instead of being restricted to the specific spreadsheet. Can anyone advise on the next step ?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Pete, can you try going to the Excel Orb (circle in top left), then click Excel Option > Add-Ins. From here you should be able to view and remove any addins by clicking the "go" button at the bottom of this window. :)

Reaction score
Ian, I am obliged for the prompt reply. I'm afraid to say that I have tried that. I've looked in every one of the subheadings when viewing the Add-Ins but there is nothing there that reveals itself as something that fits the bill. The problem is actually worse that I had described. Most of the buttons in this Add-In (which is described as a Custom Toolbar) actually work. One of them did not! The reason why it didn't work was because I had replaced it over a year ago with a new one. I have since added it back in my list of macros using the same code from it's replacement. I have also renamed the Excel12.xlb file in the hope that this would help - but it didn't. If I could start from scratch I think I would not have copied my original Excel '97 Workbook into Excel 2007.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unwanted Add-In

Removing the unwanted Add-In, which was carried over from an Excel '97 workbook, turned out to be easy, though I fail to see how it happened. I simply highlighted one of the macro command buttons that it contained and right clicked it. One of the options offered was "Delete Custom Toolbar". I clicked it and away the Add-In went. All the documentation I have read agrees with Ian Cunningham's suggested solution above, yet there were no Add-Ins listed in the 'Manage > Comm Add-Ins' list. This deletion is permanent so there is no going back, however I do have a copy of the workbook - and it is still there should I change my mind !

Ask a Question