Excel Excel 2007:Toolbars and Macro Problem

Reaction score
I had been using a spreadsheet in Excel '97 which has a toolbar containing about 20 macro command buttons. This toolbar resides down one side of the spreadsheet - not across the top like normal toolbars.

I have now started using Excel 2007 which is quite different. The spreadsheet works and the macros have been copied across. However, the toolbar appears as on "Add-In" tab as a "Customized Toolbar". This only contains 12 command buttons - the other 8 or so are missing. The missing 8 can only be run by displaying the macros and then hitting the run button, or assigning a shortcut key. Of the 12 remaining buttons I cannot modify them or delete them, and I certainly can't add new ones. One of them doesn't run because it claims to unavailable '..in This Workbook', yet it will run by hitting the Run button.

I really don't know which way to turn for advice - except perhaps to revert to Office '97. Is there anyone there who can point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This site has a download that adds a button to the QAT which allows a list of your macros to be held. This will appear as the old menus used to in 97. It is very easy to use and self explanatory.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm
I certainly found this to be very useful as I regularly need access to about 10 macros.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Many thanks rosebud. I am sure that the answer lies in the information that you kindly supplied. I will have to study it however before jumping in with both feet. I will let you know how I get on. At first glance it seems daunting.

Reaction score
I wish I could report success, but having studied the information I was unable to solve my problem. Perhaps I am thick because I found the information hard to follow. The problem is partially solved inasmuch as I have now added 20 macro buttons to the QAT using the Customizing facilities that exist. The problem with that is that, despite there being a choice of 180 button designs, there seems no way of designing one's own buttons. They need to be meaningful and they are simply not. I have posted a new thread asking for help on this subject - here's hoping. Thanks anyway Rosebud for your efforts.

Ask a Question