Excel 2000 files open with Excel 2010

IanC

I have just installed Office 2010 but have retained Office 2000. All my
Excel 2000 files now open with Excel 2010. I've tried going into File Types
and selecting the Excel 200 executable as the file to open XLS files, but
they still open with Excel 2010.

How can I return the default program for opening XLS files to C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe instead of using C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe? I know I can open Excel 2000 and
opening the files from there, but that is much more inconvenient.

Any ideas?

Jim Cone

To set a particular version of Excel to be the default...
Unregister one version and register the other.
Close Excel
Start Menu/Run
(enter the full file name of Excel, note that /regserver is outside the quote marks.)
"F:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12" /unregserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Office11" /regserver

It is the default Excel version that opens (no matter what excel file version).
Also, my experience says that you want to update your default version last when using Microsoft updates.

In addition, you will want to install the Microsoft Compatibility pack. Read first...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

I hope you installed xl2010 in a folder separate from xl2000.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"IanC" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I have just installed Office 2010 but have retained Office 2000. All my
Excel 2000 files now open with Excel 2010. I've tried going into File Types
and selecting the Excel 200 executable as the file to open XLS files, but
they still open with Excel 2010.

How can I return the default program for opening XLS files to C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe instead of using C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe? I know I can open Excel 2000 and
opening the files from there, but that is much more inconvenient.

Any ideas?

Jim Cone

Update...

Excel.exe belongs in the file path, so it should read...
"F:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\Excel.exe" /unregserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver

Of course, change the above to agree with the actual path/versions on your machine.
'--
Jim Cone

..
..
..

"Jim Cone" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
To set a particular version of Excel to be the default...
Unregister one version and register the other.
Close Excel
Start Menu/Run
(enter the full file name of Excel, note that /regserver is outside the quote marks.)
"F:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12" /unregserver
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Office11" /regserver

It is the default Excel version that opens (no matter what excel file version).
Also, my experience says that you want to update your default version last when using Microsoft updates.

In addition, you will want to install the Microsoft Compatibility pack. Read first...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

I hope you installed xl2010 in a folder separate from xl2000.

Stan Brown

I have just installed Office 2010 but have retained Office 2000. All my
Excel 2000 files now open with Excel 2010. I've tried going into File Types
and selecting the Excel 200 executable as the file to open XLS files, but
they still open with Excel 2010.

How can I return the default program for opening XLS files to C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe instead of using C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe? I know I can open Excel 2000 and
opening the files from there, but that is much more inconvenient.

I solved this with Excel 2003 and Excel 2007 on the same system by
adding Excel 2003 to the Send To folder.

1. Find the path and executable name for your Excel 2000. Quite
likely it's
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\excel.exe"
or similar, but of course you should check.

2. Right-click on an empty area of your desktop and select New »
Shortcut. The target is that path in quotes, followed by a space and
%1, also in quotes:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\excel.exe" "%1"
After clicking OK, right-click the new icon and select Rename to give
it the name you will want to see in the Send To menu.

3. Click Start » Run and type "sendto" (no quotes), then click OK.
Your Send To folder will open. Right-click your new shortcut, drag
it into the folder, release the mouse button, and select "Move here"
(not "create shortcut here"). Close the window.

Now you can right-click any Excel file and select Send To » Excel
2000.

Disclaimer: That's what I remember doing, but that's on my work
computer and I'm home now, with only Excel 2010 loaded, so I can't
verify it. Hopefully if I made any goofs you'll be able to correct
them.

IanC

Hi Jim

The process sounds strightforward enough, but I have 3 questions.
1. Both versions are installed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office but then
\Office and \Office14. Are these sufficiently different folders?
2. There won't be any further updates for Office 2000, so are updates for
2010 likely to upset things as I can't update the default version last?
3. I installed the compatibility pack for 2007 last year and have continued
to update it. Do I need to uninstall this and install the new version for
compatibility with 2010?

Jim Cone

Ian,
Here are some "maybe" answers (using Windows xp)...
1. I have separate folders under "C:\Program Files" for xl97, 2000, 2002, 2003.
I originally installed xl2007 and the tech preview of xl2010 in their own folders there also.
Uninstalling them and reinstalling both xl2007 and xl2010 on a separate partition seemed to work best.
XL2010 tech preview was flakey - I don't have xl2010 currently installed.
2. You will have to reset the default to xl2000 after installing a later version update. But that is easy to do.
3. I keep an old version of the compatibility pack updated and have had no problems.

....Your mileage may vary.

Using Icons (shortcuts) to the various Excel versions on the Quick Launch toolbar in the Windows Taskbar is convenient for me.
'---
Jim Cone

..
..

Hi Jim
The process sounds strightforward enough, but I have 3 questions.
1. Both versions are installed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office but then
\Office and \Office14. Are these sufficiently different folders?
2. There won't be any further updates for Office 2000, so are updates for
2010 likely to upset things as I can't update the default version last?
3. I installed the compatibility pack for 2007 last year and have continued
to update it. Do I need to uninstall this and install the new version for
compatibility with 2010?
--
Ian
--

"Jim Cone" <[email protected]>

IanC

Thanks Jim. That's cleared things up. I can see me having a batch file for
reinstating XL2000 as the default.

I also take your point about having shortcuts on the Quick Launch toolbar.
I've noticed that is I have XL2000 open then double click on an Excel
workbook, it will open in Excel 2000 instead of the default. That's another
possible workaround.