EVENT ID 1015..

Dear Sirs

When I browsing the net for say 5-10 min..I am getting the following error

SERVICE --WINLOGO
CATEGORY --NONE EVENT ID --1015
A CRITICAL SYSTEM PROCESS C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LSASS.EXE FAILED WITH STATUS CODE C0000005.THE M/C
MUST BE RESTARTED

And my m/c is getting restarted

Pls help me what could be the problem
The O/S is WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL WITH SP1

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

This is an indication on the sasser worm. Please follow the instructions in
the following link.

Windows XP Users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.asp

Please find the content of the page below in case you are not able to
connect to Microsoft website.

Print this page now to get instructions for yourself (if your computer
keeps shutting down), or to help a friend.

If you are using Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)
and your computer has been infected by the Sasser worm, you can take these
steps to update your software, remove the worm, and help protect against
future infections.

Step 1: Disconnect from the Internet

To avoid further problems, disconnect from the Internet:
" Broadband connection users: Locate the cable that runs from your external
DSL or cable modem and unplug that cable either from the modem or from the
telephone jack.
" Dial-up connection users: Locate the cable that runs from the modem
inside your computer to your telephone jack and unplug that cable either
from the telephone jack or from your computer.

Step 2: Stop the Shutdown Cycle

This worm may cause LSASS.EXE to stop responding, which forces the
operating system to shut down after 60 seconds. If your computer starts to
shut down, follow these steps to abort any system shutdown that may be in
progress.

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click
Run.
2. Type: cmd and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type: shutdown.exe -a and then press ENTER.

Step 3: Mitigate the Vulnerability

You can temporarily remove the vulnerability that allows the worm to infect
your computer by creating a log file.
Create the log file

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click
Run.
2. Type: cmd and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type: echo dcpromo
%systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log and then press ENTER.

Make the log file read-only

4. At the command prompt, type: attrib +R %systemroot%\debug\dcpromo.log
and then press ENTER.

Step 4: Improve System Performance

If your computer is acting sluggish or if the Internet connection is slow,
the worm may be flooding your local network connection. This may make it
impossible for you to download and install the required software update. To
improve system performance:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
2. For each of the following tasks that may be listed, click the task to
select it, and then click the End Task button to end it.
o Any task ending with _up.exe (for example, 12345_up.exe).
o Any task starting with avserve (for example, avserve.exe).
o Any task starting with avserve2 (for example, avserve2.exe).
o Any task starting with skynetave (for example, skynetave.exe).
o hkey.exe
o msiwin84.exe
o wmiprvsw.exe

Note Do not end the wmiprvse.exe task; it is a legitimate system task.

Step 5: Enable a Firewall

A firewall is a piece of software or hardware that creates a protective
barrier between your computer and the Internet. If your computer has been
infected, a firewall will help limit the effects of the worm. Windows XP
includes the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). To turn on ICF:

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click
Control Panel.
2. Click the Network and Internet Connections category.

(If the Network and Internet Connections is not visible, click Switch to
Category View under Control Panel on the left side of the Control Panel
window.)

3. Click Network Connections.
4. Right-click the Dial-up, LAN, or High-Speed Internet connection that you
use to connect to the Internet, and then click Properties from the shortcut
menu.
5. On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select Protect
my computer and network, and then click OK. The Windows XP firewall is now
enabled.

Step 6: Reconnect to the Internet

Plug the cable (referred to in Step 1) back into your computer, telephone
jack, or modem.

Step 7: Install the Required Update

To help protect your computer against this worm in the future, you must
download and install security update 835732, which was released with
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. To download security update 835732,
go to http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=526067

Step 8: Check For and Remove Sasser

After you have installed the update and restarted your computer, go to the
Web page "What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants" at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp. Use the Sasser Worm
Removal Tool to search your hard disk for and remove Sasser.A, Sasser.B,
Sasser.C, Sasser.D, Sasser.E, and Sasser.F.

About Internet Connection Firewall

The Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall can block useful tasks such as
sharing files or printers through a network, transferring files in
applications, or hosting multiplayer games. Nonetheless, Microsoft
recommends that you use a firewall to help protect your computer.

If you turn on the Internet Connection Firewall and find that you can't
perform some tasks you want to, read "How to Open Ports in the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall" at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp.

If you have more than one computer, want more technical information, or
want to learn more about firewalls, read "Frequently Asked Questions About
Firewalls" at http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp.

Hope the issue is resolved.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| From: =?Utf-8?B?VmVua2F0?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: EVENT ID 1015..
| Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 08:56:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Dear Sirs,

When I browsing the net for say 5-10 min..I am getting the following error

SERVICE --WINLOGON