etc\hosts file

Abdul-Azeez Musa

I made changes to my hosts file,save and tests..it works
well.
But the hosts file defaults to the original entries each
time i reboot my system..all my changes are lost.

Any help?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Abdul-Azeez Musa said:
I made changes to my hosts file,save and tests..it works
well.
But the hosts file defaults to the original entries each
time i reboot my system..all my changes are lost.

Any help?

This happens when someone, e.g. a system administrator,
forces a standard hosts file to be established via the logon
script.

Sergio Moreno

Hello there,

if the hosts file not replaced when you logon locally to your PC, then the file could be replaced by login script or domain policy.
If the hosts file changes when you loging locally, then there must be a application or service that is updating or replacing the file automatically.
Try booting PC into safe mode with network support after making some changes to the hosts file, did it still get modified or replaced?
From: "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: etc\hosts file
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:06:46 +1000

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.