From: "Greg Starr" <[email protected]>
Subject: Error on bootup
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:58:06 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

I get an "Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry
point GetPrinterA could not be located in the dynamic
library SPOOLSS.dll." error on bootup (Win2K Server
Latest SP and patches...)

After clearing the error, everything seems okay. Unless
the error is cleared, nobody can connect to the server.

Thanks in advance-
Greg Starr
IT Manager
Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
--

Greg,

Based on my experience, this is a problem with third party printer monitor. When you log in, spooler service initializes. At
that point, a poor designed printer monitor wants to call a non-existent function in spoolss.dll. That's why you see this error.
The solution is to remove this printer monitor and this will not cause a problem.

WARNING
================
Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry
Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor
(Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe.
Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should
also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

1. Log into the system as an administrator, click Start >> Run, input regedit and click OK to run regedit.exe.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, click Registry->Export Registry File on the
menu, and export the current key to a REG file for backup. (Note: You may double click on the REG file in Windows
Explorer to restore the original settings)

3. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors], delete any monitor that is not one of
the following:

BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
AppleTalk Printing Devices
LPR Port

4. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.