Error 720 with dial-up connection

Dennis Moore

My dial-up connection on an IBM T23 laptop fails with
error 720. Pushing 'more info' indicates that the PPP
settings on the laptop doesn't match the server. I have a
backup disk that is several 'patch' levels back (about
Jan '03) and the connection works fine with that older
version of the OS. I have compared all the setting for
both and they appear to be the same. Does anyone know if
there have been changes to TCP/IP or PPP in the last six
months or so that might be causing this type of problem?
Can anyone tell me the names of the files that are
involved with a dial-up connection that I might be able to
reload to elminate a problem with TCP/IP and PPP? Any help
will be most appreciated. Thanks, (e-mail address removed)

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Dennis,

Do you have installed the Mcafee firewall application? If yes, let's remove
it and see whether the problem is solved. The Mcafee firewall application
may cause the problem.

We also can reset the TCP/IP in the Windows XP as the following article:

299357 How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299357

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Dennis Moore" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Dennis Moore" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 720 with dial-up connection
| Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:41:21 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| My dial-up connection on an IBM T23 laptop fails with
| error 720. Pushing 'more info' indicates that the PPP
| settings on the laptop doesn't match the server. I have a
| backup disk that is several 'patch' levels back (about
| Jan '03) and the connection works fine with that older
| version of the OS. I have compared all the setting for
| both and they appear to be the same. Does anyone know if
| there have been changes to TCP/IP or PPP in the last six
| months or so that might be causing this type of problem?
| Can anyone tell me the names of the files that are
| involved with a dial-up connection that I might be able to
| reload to elminate a problem with TCP/IP and PPP? Any help
| will be most appreciated. Thanks, (e-mail address removed)

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Dennis,

Do you have installed the Mcafee firewall application? If yes, let's remove
it and see whether the problem is solved. The Mcafee firewall application
may cause the problem.

We also can reset the TCP/IP in the Windows XP as the following article:

299357 How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299357

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Dennis Moore" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Dennis Moore" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 720 with dial-up connection
| Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:41:21 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| My dial-up connection on an IBM T23 laptop fails with
| error 720. Pushing 'more info' indicates that the PPP
| settings on the laptop doesn't match the server. I have a
| backup disk that is several 'patch' levels back (about
| Jan '03) and the connection works fine with that older
| version of the OS. I have compared all the setting for
| both and they appear to be the same. Does anyone know if
| there have been changes to TCP/IP or PPP in the last six
| months or so that might be causing this type of problem?
| Can anyone tell me the names of the files that are
| involved with a dial-up connection that I might be able to
| reload to elminate a problem with TCP/IP and PPP? Any help
| will be most appreciated. Thanks, (e-mail address removed)

Dennis Moore

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the input. I did at one time have McAfee
installed but it was uninstalled several months ago. I
don't know if there might be something still hanging
around after the uninstall. Do you know of anything in
particular to check?
I ran the command line "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"
and tried again and got the same 'error 720'.
I went back and looked at several of the "patches" that
have been downloaded to the machine in resent months and
several of the security fixes seem to have dealt with
TCP/IP. I don't know how to tell if there might be
something associtated with one of those "fixe".
Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks,
(e-mail address removed)